1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think we need a Prius expert

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Jul 11, 2004.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Several members of this forum are very knowledgeable and are a great asset for the rest of us, but even they sometimes guess on some issues concerning our unusual car. Since this forum greatly benefits Toyota, could the forum's administrators contact Toyota about the possibility of having one of their engineers connect to the forum regularly and help with the more difficult questions? The person does not need to participate frequently; it would be enough to jump in when it's clear that no one knows the answer to a question or when misleading statements are made. :roll:

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We already have moderators.. and admins.. so on.. we should be able to vote to get a small group of people who know a lot.. and give them a prius expert title or something. They can talk about stuff when someone doesn't know it.. i'm sure one of them knows.. or.. they can look it up pretty quickly. I would say a half a dozen people or so.. if we can find that many people who would want the title and want to be part of an the expert group. They would be more noticable to us too. These guys would be some of the people currently creating mods.. doing little test. People who actualy know the prius from an electrical standpoint.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you know the definition of "expert" don't you

X the unknown in an equation
    and a spurt is just a drip under pressure.

4. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can find a real expert that will agree to come to the forms and help with questions ( with a small group of our best priuschat members could do) then congrats... but.. i would find it more likely that if we do have a group of "experts" then it would most likely be them contactacing the real experts for questions.. which they already do

So basically.. it's a way of organizing the board. Advice always flows in that direction.. we might as well put it in order by making an advanced group.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota may or may not monitor this board. I would imagine they do, but they would not acknowledge that just on legal grounds. If they are smart they are around to pick up on problems.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    4 years ago, we had exactly that!

Both the person ultimately in charge of US rollout and the head engineer answered questions for us.

They ended up stepping down when we became informed enough to run the show ourselves. It also relieved them of any liability. They had trade secrets they were unsure whether or not they could share... yet. Obviously, much of that has since been "declassified" due to the hybrid market changing. They also couldn't answer any of the questions we wanted to know the most about: modifications & aftermarket upgrades.

In short, don't plan on it.

The combined knowledge we have here is your greatest resource.

7. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    exactly.. which is why i say we should have our own group of experianced people. These would be the people who we ask question anyways.. but they would have the privilage of a given rank i guess... maybe i'm explaining it bad

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The defininition of "Expert" that I like most is:

Someone from more than 50 miles away...with slides!!!

9. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No not X, it is ex as in has been. A has ben drip under pressure. :lol:

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yo Dude everyone knows it is 60 miles, and every one in the audience falls asleep 5 min. after the lecture starts! How long have you been doing CME anyway?

11. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Do you still have access to these folks? I have seen a number of issues discussed in which opinions or guesses have been given in lieu of definitive answers. It would be nice to have an authoritative reply to some of these issues.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota's interests and ours are not the same. Even though they have designed and built the coolest car in the universe, and we love them for making this car available, and they love us for buying it, our interest is to understand the car, and their interest is to sell cars. If they thought that devoting a few hours a week of one of their engineers' time to this (or any other) BBS (and there are many boards, devoted to their various cars) would help them sell cars, they'd do it. But right now their problem is not selling Prius; their problem is making enough of them to fill the demand. We are fortunate to have some really knowledgeable folks here. Now if Danny could lure Wayne Brown here...

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would be nice if such a person were known to the admins who could choose when to pose a question once it is clear we have exhausted our ability to find an answer through trials, comparing notes, etc. For instance the "Info toggle" question. Some have it, some don't, one didn't and does now after display repair.

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I tried many moons ago when I first started up PriusChat but never received any response back to my emails.

I'm actually in the process of connecting with some Toyota engineers & hope that they will be willing to at least answer some questions off-line that I can then relay to the site. Hopefully get some good interviews out of them, too!

15. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The knowledge of this board's collective never ceases to amaze me. We are already fortunate to have several experts covering a variety of subjects. I would hope that someone from Toyota does monitor this, and the other boards for legitimate complaints, concerns, and suggestions. They would be foolish not to.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Be careful what you wish for.

Sometimes, you won't want to hear what they have to say.

I have experience in this area with Prius...

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do tell us more, John, please. Or give us a link to the page if you have a discussion of this in your prius journal on your web site. I cannot imagine reliable information we wouldn't want to have.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interviews with Toyota people would be cool!

19. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Toyota North America Monitoring This Forum?

Yup.

I know of at least two in Torrance, one at VP level. Danny knows a few others.

Kind of like the Hollywood personalities who own a Prius and participate here; names are changed to protect their interests.

So chances are Big Brother-san is watching your posts.

So be it.

Bob

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had some interaction at some point with an engineer thanks to a dealer connection. Unfortunately I didn't have as many questions lined up at the time as I do now. LOL