1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I thought my FOB battery was dead but spare doesn't work either

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tracysbeans, Feb 9, 2011.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, I have a 2006 Prius. Just recently replaced my 12V battery.

Now I thought the battery in my FOB needed to be replaced since latley I have had to put my FOB into the car to get it to start. (If I push the start button the key pitcure comes up on the dash) Also most times I have to manually unlock my doors by taking the actually key out of the FOB.

So I figured the battery must be dead on it. So I grab my spare FOB and go to my car and it doesn't unlock. It is not opening and completley locked. I have no choice but to pull the key out of the FOB and manually open it with the key.

So now I don't know what is wrong. I thought for sure the battery in the FOB was just dead and would use my spare FOB until I got a new battery.

So most times I have to:

-take the key out of the FOB to open the door. A few times it did work normally. BUT now seems to not be working without pulling out the key
    -In order to start my car the FOB has to be inserted into the car.

HELP!

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Check if the red light on the keyfob flashes when you press a button. Since the battery in the 2nd keyfob is just as old as the 1st keyfob, they're probably both worn out.

If the light flashes, then the keyfob battery is strong enough to work normally. Maybe not at maximum range, but certainly next to the door and for the Power button.

There is a switch on the lower part of the dash, next to the steering column. It's labeled "key". If it's pressed in, the proximity functions are disabled (but the keyfob lock/unlock buttons should still work).

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I don't see where any red light would be on my keyfob?? Where is that at? So away from the car if I push the unlock button I should see a red light go off? (If so I don't see any red light go off when I push the unlock button on the keyfob)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Replace the fob batteries. The main fob has an obviously dead battery, so you will need to replace it in any event. After that check the SKS button under the steering wheel.

Once you have it all working again, you can test the spare fob. There is a good chance that the battery in that one has died of old age.

Tom

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Tom, Ok I will do that. Where is the best place to buy a battery for the Fobkey and is it easy to switch out?

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Carefully use a small screw driver and you can pry the FOB apart. There should be in the manual a "best spot" to use to do this (sorry, I have a 2010, haven't gotten to the battery replacement yet).

Typically, you can get these batteries at Radio Shack, Walmart, Kmart, etc. They tend to keep them near the jewelry (watches, mostly). They might even do the install for you while you're there! I don't know which battery specifically they use, but they're typically the thin, button type.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any drugstore will sell these batteries, CR2032. You will need one for each fob.

I suggest that you do a search to find out how to replace the fob battery if you can't find that in your owner's manual. This task may not be that easy to do and depends upon exerting some force with your fingers.

You will need a very small Phillips jewelers screwdriver to remove the four screws that cover the battery once you have removed a trim cover on the fob.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced batteries a couple of years ago. Not a big deal, just takes a bit of fiddling with the fob to find the right way to take it apart. Treat it like a puzzle, and you will be done in 10 minutes.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gently pry at the gap where the manual key goes in, with a slim screw driver. Get it started there, maybe hook a fingernail in and then work it open the rest of the way round.

10. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Toy service reps were happy to pull small screw drivers from their nerd shirt pocket packs and do it for us .... so easy .... we did the other. Three guys were all moving in and competing to do it.

Do all at once as suggested. Ours lasted from May 05 till June 2010....but we do not use the button to open-close.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have read in this forum owners being charged high fees for battery replacement. Something along the lines of a one hour labor minimum, even though it takes 90 seconds after a bit of practice. Ask first about charges

12. wahooky

wahooky New Member

well Im having the same problem. I had a 2005 Prius with properly functioning SKS. All of a sudden the locks didnt work with SKS. Then the power switch didnt work. I checked the under-dash button and it was off (apparently the car wash people wiped it). But now it is on and it still doesnt work. I have three fobs and I cant believe the batteries all died at once.

So what gives? Im tired of getting out that little bitty key and shoving the fob in the dash.

I think it needs a reset of some sort.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you know that all three fobs were functioning prior to your recent car wash?

Please see this post which discusses an issue similar to yours: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-prius-owner-having-issues-2.html#post1283709

I suggest that you buy CR2032 batteries at your local drugstore, and replace the fob batteries. If you still have a problem, you have ruled out the fob batteries as a cause.

It would then be reasonable to visit your Toyota dealer and pay for the tech's diagnostic time. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  14. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ours died nearly simultaneously

We have a 2006 Prius. My wife is the usual driver and we keep distinct fobs. About a month ago when I climbed in to use it, I saw the little key with a vertical line through it signal on the dashboard and had to put the fob in the socket in order to drive.

When I mentioned it to my wife she mentioned that she had been having some odd behaviors recently.

Both batteries measured about 2.7 V when I removed them, which is really low for lithium battery as the new ones measured 3.3.

My conclusion is that at least for my wife style of fog use, the frequently used Bob drained the battery hardly any faster at all than the one that was just sitting on the counter.

Oh, by the way, getting her fob apart was a chore, even with the excellent guides posted here an elsewhere. Mine was easier (less use--less grit or such)