1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I took my 2010 Prius in for the factory airbag recall and got LOTS of maintenance recommendations!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ATXpriusGal, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ATXpriusGal

ATXpriusGal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew this would happen. I took my 2010 prius with 84K miles in to the dealership as part of the factory airbag recall. I shouldn't have been surprised when they called with a list of recommended maintenance. I am always wary of dealership recommendations, so I'd like to ask the group if any of these are urgent or needed at this time:
    Injection cleaning
    Brake fluid flush
    Transmission (??)
    Replace radiator hoses (btw, I was quoted $637 for this!)

Thank you for the feedback!

bisco likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just do the recall and decline the recommendations for the other stuff. Crazy dealers

ATXpriusGal likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One particular coolant hose, or the lot? That one looks like a fishing expedition, would pass. And it sort of sours me regarding the others, like maybe seek out another, more down to earth dealership. If that's possible, lol.

The brake fluid change is good to do tri-yearly, should be around $100. It can be screwed up, so tread carefully. See @NutzAboutBolts video pinned in maintenance sub-forum for some idea of the complexity. I did that recently myself, with my wife pushing the brake pedal. Worked out fine. Cost 2 pint bottles of Toyota DOT3 fluid, maybe $20.

The transaxle fluid change is a good thing to do at least once, and sooner than later. It's about on par with an oil change in complexity, and again, should not be over $100. If they want exhorbitantly more they're incompetent and/or larcenous. And again: see @NutzAboutBolts videos. One thing I do different though: is just use a funnel and hose from above, instead of a pump. Simple, and works. The should use nothing but Toyota ATF WS fluid, except no substitutes.

All and all, the fact that they're hitting you with all this when you went in for a recall, sounds fishy. Bad atmosphere, probably they are being pushed to get as much out of you as possible, and that's not a good outfit to do business with.

4. ATXpriusGal

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did!!!

Rebound, m.wynn, bisco and 2 others like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah bottom line, apart from the wholesale replacement of coolant hoses, the other two are worth considering. But do them in your own time. Even an independent garage can handle them.

I've attached the Repair Manual instruction for both. Again, watch the @NutzAboutBolts videos, even if there's not a chance of DIY. It still gives you an idea of what's involved.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Injection cleaning
    Unless you have drivability issues, never do injection cleaning. If you absolutely must, just add a vial of Techron every 90,000 miles
    This is literally so cheap you have to buy something else, $3.34
    amazon.com/Chevron-Techron-Fuel-Injection-Cleaner/dp/B0097SBAPK
    Brake fluid flush
    This will vary by how humid your area is. There are test strips to prove you need a flush. $11 amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-3003-B-Package-Condition/dp/B00E6TXWA6
    Transmission (??)
    I would change the Transmission fluid every 90,000 miles Use ATF WS and get two washers from the Toyota Parts Department. As a DIY about $40, at the dealer about $110
    Replace radiator hoses (btw, I was quoted $637 for this!)
    I think the dealer just needs to make a boat payment and is trying to get you to help. I am not sure I have ever seen a bad hose younger than 200,000 miles.

If you do not get along with one dealer's parts department, there are 5 local dealers
    Toyota in Austin | Car Dealerships In Austin, TX
    Beyond that several independent shops will work on Hybrids (I am not in Austin and cannot verify any of these shops)
    Hybrid Repairs in Austin, TX | Dave’s Ultimate Automotive
    Happy Hybrid Auto
    Hybrid Repair - Newman’s Automotive
    Raul's Automotive Inc. is a Master Certified Hybrid Repair Shop | Austin TX 78729
    Home - Hybrid Repair Center

Find a dealer or mechanic you trust and do business with them. Hating your mechanic is a path to car trouble.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a brake flush but a "Brake Service with fluid replacement" is part of the service interval here in Canada every 64,000km (40,000 miles).

The transmission fluid change is not part of Toyota maintenance service (for some reason) but I think it was @bwilson4web or another older member that did a fluid analysis. Their recommendation is to do a transmission fluid change as part of preventative maintenance. I did mine near the 104,000km mark (65,000 miles)

8. ATXpriusGal

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  9. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My sisters 12 year old Prius with 302,000 miles has all original coolant hoses. They are trying to hose you for sure :)

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles/years do you plan to keep him?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2010 maintenance booklet says nothing, but a pdf of the 2014 booklet says 48,000 km or 36 months (whichever comes first):

upload_2017-1-19_16-50-52.png

Maybe they've revised since?

FWIW Honda has always said 3 years, regardless of mileage.

I did this in the fall, in conjunction while the wheels were off, putting on the snow tires: two pint bottles of DOT 3 brake fluid amounted to $17. Doable without techstream, you could even doing it without wheel removal, on the ground, but it's easier with the car raised and wheels off.

12. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not to hijack this thread but I tried to change my trans fuel but got stuck in removing the bolt.It looks really tight.Can I use wd40 and breaker bar.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fyi, remove the fill bolt first. there's nothing worse than getting the drain bolt out, but not being able to fill it back up.

mattdhurley12, Rebound and saltdiscus like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to verify, you mean the transaxle fluid? Assuming yes:

You've got the 10 mm hex male socket? It's doable with a regular ratchet I'm sure, but a nice long handle wrench makes it a lot easier, less chance of mashing your knuckles too. I'm using a ratcheting 1/2" drive Jet long-handled wrench with swivel head. From the fulcrum to tip of handle is around maybe 18". I add a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, and use an extension just give more room. It still takes a moderate push, but much easier. I don't think WD40 will make any difference, not needed.

The jet wrench is somewhat Rolls Royce, you could also use a non-ratcheting breaker bar type wrench, the kind that you can pick up at Harbor Freight for $10~15, that'll give you the same advantage. That's all I had the first time, a little more awkward, but works. The ratcheting and swivel head just makes it a lot easier.

And yes, as bisco says, do the top (fill) bolt first.

Torque for both is 29 ft/lb.

saltdiscus, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure it's in the supplementary booklet (green one). I'll double check. I verified it against toyota.ca's maintenance schedule grid online when I entered in 2010 Prius.

16. katykat4464

katykat4464 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mendel or anyone else that can help- hoping you can help me with my problem as I am unable to find what I need by doing a google search. I have a 2010 Gen IV that has a short somewhere in the wiring between the front left speed sensor and the main computer. Whenever it gets wet, by rain, snow or carwash, the warning codes go off for the speed sensor. When it dries out, they go out. The speed sensor was just replaced along with that wheel bearing. The dealership has been unable to locate the location of the short so I thought I would devote some of my much cheaper time to try and locate it. My problem is that I am unsure of the physical location of the wiring after it enters the firewall. Do you have any illustrations that would assist me?

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would these three files help?

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which dealer did you go to? Have been happy with Round Rock Toyota dealer service. Just had them do the airbag recall on my 2010 Prius with 83k miles on it.

19. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a thought and it might be relate to your issue...

There's a sleeve cover the speed sensor plug to the wheel hub and you might want to check if your mechanic had placed it back after finishing the job.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Usually don’t see the hoses to be a recommend replacement. Since it’s in front of engine bay, id do a visual inspection of it just to make sure there are no visual cracks.