1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I transferred phone book (BT) easily on VERIZON!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by akasha77, Aug 25, 2006.

1. akasha77

akasha77 New Member

I am writing here because I have gotten much help from the forum. I've been following the posts about the complexity of transferring a phonebook from a BT phone that uses Verizon as the carrier.
    So I couldn't believe that my LG 8300 sent the phonebook straight to my 2006 Prius with no trouble so far (the LG limits me to 10 transfers at a time - but the process of transferring 60 names took only c. 15 minutes). In my yard, I set a voice tag and then made a call using the voice command and it went right through. The next test is to use the same process while I'm actually on the road.
    If I can help, let me know.

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm interested, when did you get your 8300?? I'm eligible for the 2 yr. upgrade in a month and I think your phone must have the new firmware in it. I've been looking at the 8300 or the motorola Q.. how do you like your 8300?

3. akasha77

akasha77 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 25 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]309575[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 25 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]309575[/snapback]</div>

I've only had the 8300 for a couple of days, but it seems fine - I have no complaints, but I don't know it well yet. It's for my wife, but I'm the geek in the family. I still have the Audiovox 9900, a wonderful phone that was only offered for a short while. The 8300 is highly rated at Phonescoop and recommended (and used by) the Verizon guy that I know and trust.

4. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Just checked Verizon's specs on the LG8300. This model supports Object Push for vCard but not Obex for file transfer. In other words, you are able to transfer to the Prius because it also supports vCard.

5. akasha77

akasha77 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wesj49 @ Aug 25 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]309646[/snapback]</div>

Well that sounds like good news for Verizon folks who have been struggling with getting their phone book into the Prius smoothly.
    Once I paired the phone with the Prius, I went into (on the 8300) Tools, Bluetooth, selected HANDS FREE, Options, and then Send Name Card. That took me into the 8300's phone book with the chance to select which entries in my phone book to "MARK" and send (just 10 at a time is permitted by the phone). Of course, I had to prepare the Prius to receive the phone book entries first.
    So it sounds like the "Send Name Card" option is the "VCard" you are referring to. This part is a bit beyond me - I just feel that I got lucky.
    Funny, when I called Toyota today, the customer service person assured me that Verizon phones will NOT work with the Prius BT system - or at best will be severely limited. When we go out tomorrow, I will most certainly check to be sure that all this works while I'm actually driving.
    Will report back ...

6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akasha77 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]309686[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm I wouldn't say that. I have had both an E 815 and an E816 from Verizon paired with my Prius. They both work just fine. When I have an incoming call, the radio cuts out and the car rings through the speaker. I have the phone set to auto answer in 5 seconds, so I just say hello and am talking away. I place calls either with the speed dial or voice dial selections.

The only issue I had was transferring my phonebook but I only have a handful of numbers so I programmed them in manually.

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think thats just GREAT news!! I've had Verizon serivce for the last 4 years, they are about the only service provider that has good coverage up here in the mountains, so I don't want to change. When I upgrade my phone I'll get a bluetooth model that has the ecard transfer (if not the full file transfer) feature. I'm glad, at least to some extent, Verizon seems to be catching up to the rest of the world...... :D

let me know how you continue to enjoy your 8300!!! and thanks for your post. :D :D

8. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akasha77 @ Aug 25 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]309686[/snapback]</div>
    Actually this is a recent development in Verizon's policy of not allowing BT information transfer. vCard just means virtual business card, I believe, and is a universal text structure for transfering information such as business names, phone numbers and the like. You'll notice that Verizon is very careful to state that the Obex (object exchange) profile is not supported...because that would enable file transfer and thus the transfering of pictures and ringtones outside of the Get It Now revenue stream. As far as I know, the LG 8300 is the only Verizon phone to offer Object Push. Possibly some of the PDA phones do too. Permitting the transfer of 10 contacts per try is pretty good given that most of the uncrippled BT phones from the other providers only allow one contact at a time. BTW you won't have access to your Prius phonebook above 4 mph, only the one touch dial numbers. I think Toyota isn't hip to the functionality of the LG 8300 at this point.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akasha77 @ Aug 25 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]309686[/snapback]</div>
    I also have an e815 which paired quickly and works well. I don't have the phone book (yet) in the Prius, but I don't live on the phone. 98% of the calls I make are either to my home or parent's house so most calls are taken care of by the 1-touch buttons (although I don't have names). 1.5% are set up as POIs in the NAV system (if you have a 2005 or have cut the purple speed sensor wire you can do this), which is called by pressing the INFO button and then the green phone button (you can also make calls from the NAV database this way). The remaining 0.5% is done either from the phone itself or on the MFD (I cut the purple speed sensor wire for the BT).

UPDATE: I got a non-Verizon BT phone on eBay, put the phonebook in that and then sent the whole phonebook at once.

10. akasha77

akasha77 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 26 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]309941[/snapback]</div>
    So far I'm very pleased with the 8300. It feels solid and the size is good: not too big and not too small - like Goldilocks' porridge. The speakerphone is very clear - better than the Audiovox 9900 (a very good phone), and I like the fact that not only is the speakerphone button centrally located - above the 2 on the dialing pad - but the speakerphone stays on until you shut it off or shut the phone down.
    The only negative so far is that it takes about 20 seconds to power up and be ready for use. But even if I had known this before buying it, I still would have chose the 8300.

11. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akasha77 @ Aug 25 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]309686[/snapback]</div>
    This is annoying. I have a VX8600, which according to Verizon supports Object Push for vCard just like the VX8300 does. However, when I select Options under HANDS FREE, I'm not given "Send Name Card" as an option :( and so I can't do this :(.

Has anyone else been able to do this with a VX8600?

One potential difference -- I have a 2004 Prius, not an '06 like the original poster.