1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want back my Prius!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by willchu, May 16, 2013.

1. willchu

willchu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello Everyone!
    This is my story. Back in 2007 I was a proud owner of the new Prius - black. After putting about 55k on the car, I sold it for a Dodge Ram V8 - yeah..I know. I had to get the truck for business purposes. Anyhow, it was very soon when I started missing the Prius.

Fast forward a few years. I ended up selling the truck to my father and buying my brother's 2003 BMW 5 series. The maintenance on the BMW is what is making me sell it - currently has 95k on the odometer. I'm thinking once I sell the BMW I would like to get another Prius again.

I don't want to buy new - prefer used. For around $15k as a budget - would you suggest I get 2nd Gen (like what I used to have) or 3rd Gen? I was thinking years between 2007-2009 for G2 and 2010 only for G3.

I've been looking so far only online and found a few Priuseses for $14k with 35-40k miles. Please give me some helpful informations / opinions. Thanks!

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on deciding to sell the BMW. That is perhaps the smartest move anyone can make. I know I sold a 2006 325I after thousands of dollars in repairs and maintenance. Great car, just a nightmare of small problems that evoprated any spare change I managed to muster together. I call it the vacation destroyer. Every year I had that car some vacation was jacked up as I handed my money to a greedy BMW repair shop manager.

If it were me I would get a Gen III. Budget will most likely decide.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like both generations. III is a bit better, unless you don't like the flying bridge. i would prefer a low mile 09 to a high mile '10 though.

JMD likes this.
  4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 3rd gen is more powerful and gets better mileage at speed particularly.

Battery life seems to be a function of time (more than miles) so I'd tend towards newer model years as well (even if it means something with more accumulated miles).

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never owned a BMW, but I've known people that have.
    My observation is that your story is not unique. I think many BMW's are beautiful automobiles. Beautiful to look at, Beautiful to sit in, and Beautiful to drive......when they are running. Unfortunately the too often repeated story is about how often they are NOT running.

As far as which Prius you should get? If you simply plan to keep until it's resale value is pretty much a non-issue? Then reading between the lines and at your budget level, I think I would lean towards getting a Gen 2, that is conceivably in GREAT shape, as opposed to getting a "cheaper" Gen 3, that might of had a hard life up to that point.

But as always it's up to you, and also kind of up to what deals you might be able to find. If I felt I had found a Gen 3 that was in excellent shape, then I think I'd want the Gen 3. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gen 2's and to this day I kind of regret that before the release of the Gen 3, I did not buy one of the last Gen 2's. But the Gen 3 has some potential advantages. The Gen 3 has the heat reclamation system as opposed to the Coolant Thermos, and the Gen 3 has a beltless engine and maybe the greatest advantage The Gen 3 has a regular gas tank as opposed to the fabled Gas Bladder of the Gen 2's. This was a big aspect for me, because I live in a state that does not allow you to pump your own gas. I also think the Gen 3's do represent an advancement in refinement. Classified as a mid-size as opposed to a compact.

But for you? In your budget range, I think the overriding aspect for me, would be getting whatever Prius I felt was in the absolute best shape and condition, whether it be a Gen 2 or a Gen 3.

6. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Double true.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Gen 3 is so much better than the Gen 2 in my opinion that I would not even consider a Gen 2 with a $15k budget. 2010's just falls within range. My definition of better is more powerful electric and gas motor while providing better fuel economy. Win/Win. Prius is already a porker, I can always use more juice.

ewxlt66 likes this.