1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want bigger softer riding tires for next tires.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by The Big Sleaze, Feb 7, 2022.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I've heard biggest tallest tires for stock rims is 205/70 15" which adds about an inch of height. Seems like SLIGHTLY wider and 1" taller would be risking rubbing especially on rears.
    Also, don't see that size in top tier like Continental or Micheline. Maybe bigger than stock but not totally maxxed out?

I figure I'll get strong tires due to lack of spare. Prime's ride seems a bit harsh for crappy CA roads. I find myself wincing due to potholes and rough roads much more than wanting better corning, and I figure bigger softer tires will make the rest of the car last longer.

best recommendations for bigger softer riding tires on stock 15" rims?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you running stock pressure? mine are at 40, and potholes/manholes make me wince too.

michelin energy savers have helped, but i only have stock size.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Tires that advertise great "traction" usually have softer treads and sometimes softer sidewalls too.
    BUT they likely will crash your gas mileage, especially if they are wider.
    And they will wear out faster too.

What are you running for tire pressures ?
    If you increased the pressure attempting to eek out some extra fuel mileage, THAT might be part of the problem.

Your stated objectives of having stronger tires that ride softer probably can't BOTH be obtained together.

4. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I was but got extra wear on outer edges so got front alignment (wasn't rotating after about 15K) so now running about 42psi to wear center but yeah on the wince. Also would be really nice to have just an inch of extra height for lots of reasons.

5. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    what is biggest (tallest) size I can run, without rubbing the wheel wells, in decent quality (not retro tires for Ford Model A) "touring" tires?

If soft ride is my main focus?

6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is no guarantee that extra pressure will help even out the wear. That varies with tire brands and models.
    Try dropping the pressure back down to the recommendation on the door sticker or maybe 2 PSI less for about a week and see how you like that.
    You might be worrying a lot about a problem that you don't really have.......or that has a really easy solution.
    Might.

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Snow tires are soft, squishy and numb out of season and typically extremely loud.

There are so called comfortread tires that are both less noisy and “softer riding” supposedly

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=75&diameter=14&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

Tire Size Comparison

Hmm maybe run Gen I 14” rims?

#7 Rmay635703, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good thought.
    But maybe "winter" tires would be a better choice.
    They usually put a lot of rubber on the road.

Real "snow" tires have always been kind of a joke......because they are actually worse on ice.

#8 sam spade 2, Feb 7, 2022
    Rmay635703 likes this.
  9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    4 season treads are usually falling into 2 famous European brands, not sure if either are quiet but both are well regarded and rated in other metrics, may not even need a “different size” to get the benefits

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I may channel Sam: most tire shops will not aid-and-abet you, installing non-stock tires. Not sure if it’s legislation, their lawyers’ advice, concern for your well being, or a combo of the above.

Merkey and Rmay635703 like this.
  11. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s always monetary, the same reason they won’t install a patch that will be fine in 99.9% of cases, they don’t make much money on the patch and could be held liable for installing it in that 1 out of 100,000 situation where the tire both fails, causes injuries and is traced back

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tire integrity aside, it's going to change handling, dramatically.

Sometimes you get a notion, go looking for a way to accomplish it, and get stonewalled. Costco won't do something like this; heck they won't even air up tires to any pressure but stock. And I think most tire shops will have the same policy. Just maybe there's some good reasons?

Too, if there's a chance you're going to be selling or trading-in soon, prospective buyers may not be enamored by this "lifted Prius".

Maybe sleep on it.

#12 Mendel Leisk, Feb 7, 2022
  13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wait.....what ??
    What is a "non-stock" tire ??

Most tire shops these days can get almost any brand and type of tire that is "certified" and tested to meet US standards.
    Some are more expensive than others.

They will not sell you a tire with a lower speed rating than the car maker recommends........usually......but except for that I don't understand what you are trying to say.

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Non stock size tires.

It's a CYA policy to avoid possible litigation.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK, I get that but a very small difference in the size designation might really be a TINY difference in size.
    Some cars even list more than one size in the owners manual.

16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The big resellers won’t install a “non-stock “size anymore,
    I caught them with their panties in a bind because my cars size was no longer manufactured, then I had to sign a waiver and they would only install 4 at a time.

17. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    so does anyone know how big of tires you can put on a Prime without worrying about rubbing?

PS-this isn't my first car and I've had diff size tires and wheels on cars, trucks and motorcycles. Biggest tires that will fit otherwise stock Prime without rubbing will not be radically diff. How do you think all these fools get goofy tire and wheel setups? Hint: they ain't DIY (but I know people that can and do their own tire installs with simple hand tools at home). Every tire store I've ever seen has big displays of fancy outsized rims and hyper low profile tires, as well as monster truck tires, and the regular stock tires on keep in the back out of sight like some "off menu" item you need to ask for.

I don't think I've ever had a tire guy ask what car then quote me tires, they just ask what size/type. When I tell them size they don't ask about the car, even if they are shipping from their warehouse.

18. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have heard of 195/80r15’s mounted overseas

I do not remember if he used spring spacers for additional lift

205/70 or 75 may work but ymmv I have never noticed anyone mention those upsizes but there are many rims that fit a Prius, get yourself a cheap full size spare from the wrecker in the size you wish to test and see what happens, be forewarned that what may at first seem like a good fit may eventually get groves wore in the sidewall on each bump as happened with my truck on the front wheels intermittently rubbing brake and suspension components.

19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Putting different sized tires on is going to screw up your speedometer/odometer.

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe.
    But it might "fix" the common error in the speedo/odo too.
    Depends on how much different and which way.