1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want my Lights to come on with my Wipers automatically

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mickeydawson, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mickeydawson

mickeydawson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New to Prius and so far very impressed with my New UK Spec, III Gen T-Spirt with Advanced Lights package. I have one complaint that I hope Toyota will fix in software.
    When you activate the windscreen wipers manually or automatically I would expect my Low Beam headlights to be activated automatically for safety as Mercs do with a 1 minute delay say.... If you have your wipers on then its raining and one should then have the lights on too.
    Anyone else care to comment if you also think this is a good feature for toyota to add.

Mikey :)

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had never heard of such a thing until my wife got her Ford Fusion Hybrid. Her lights come on with the wipers.

The only downside I can think of is when you are flipping your wipers on for short bursts and the lights are coming on, turning off, coming on, turning off, repeat...
    I'm not a lights expert but I would wonder if this cycling would shorten the life of the bulb.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it would be a good thing. My Jeep GC had auto lights and auto lights with wipers. There was a time delay, 30 seconds to a minute, once the wipers came on to eliminate any on/off due to short wiper times.

I miss my auto lights. One less thing to think about at dusk and when raining.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm behind the times.
    I'm behind the technology.

I've come from a 1993 Honda Accord. So my expectations were not headlights that automatically came on with wipers or at dusk...

Hard to argue against it. I mean I suppose it just is better.

But on the other hand? Sometimes it suprises me how lazy we are becoming. I've driven for decades and never found it that taxing or difficult to turn my light on or off. A friend of mine was recently giving me some good natured ribbing about my new car NOT having stereo controls in the steering wheel. Well that's IS nice. But I pointed out that the difference is keeping your hands on the steering wheel and moving your thumbs or finger...or taking 3 seconds and moving your hand 4 inches to the left to turn a knob? Is it REALLY that big of a deal?

I'm old fashioned in some ways, and sometimes I don't like everything becoming automatic. Let me decide when I want my lights on or off. I can move my hand, turn a knob, press a button. It's just not that big a deal to me. Sometimes I prefer the human choice as opposed to software and sensors.

5. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For a truly high-reliability, cost-effective solution, tape some sandpaper, rough side out, to the wiper control wand. It'll give you a tactile reminder to turn on your lights every time you turn on your wipers.

It'll fall off after a few months, but by that time, you won't need it.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Before I had a vehicle with the Auto feature on the lights, I felt the same as you. Once I had the feature and got used to it, I miss it. The stalk had an Auto selection. You could choose to use it or not use it. Driver preference.

7. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe the Lexus ES330 and the other ones have this feature. Actually my '03 BMW 330ci used to have auto headlights + rain detecting sensor... the wiper automatically variates speed depending on rain amount. Worked ok.

Good idea though.

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In California, the law requires the head lights be on when the wiper is in use.
    This is just a convenient feature for those who forget or too lazy to turn on the headlight.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you serious? How can they do that? I live in Oregon and it rains...a lot....and we don't have that law.

That sucks. To me? It's a good idea to turn on your lights when it rains...but if you forget, during the day...it shouldn't be an illegal act.

10. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

even Missouri has that law : if wipers are on - lights must be on ... and I am for it ...

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The intent of the law is to have head lights on when it is raining for safety reasons like the day time running lights.
    The definition of raining is when you need to turn on the wiper. So it clear for the cops to identify the violation because some may argue that it is only sprinkling and not raining.

12. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want my car to slap me when I'm driving too fast. That would be an even greater safety feature and should be made mandatory :madgrin:.

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have to admit that changes the equation a little bit. If I lived in a state where that was the law? I'd want automatic wiper/headlights...

We probably don't have it in Oregon because it rains so much, and people are so accustom to driving in the rain...there would be no way to enforce it. I'd say I most often turn on the lights when it get's dark"ish" and is raining but I don't always turn on the lights.

14. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And its here in NY too, or just NYC not sure but it is here in NYC.

16. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is a law in Ohio.

17. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am planning on installing the RT-50A in the not-too-distant future. This will take care of a number of things (auto headlights, auto wipers & headlights on with wipers).

18. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What about fog?
    Mightn't you want wipers on but lights off, particularly if you don't have fog lights.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since there is never a time when I do not want my fellow drivers to be able to see me, I turned my headlights on when I bought the car, and have never turned them off.

When I press the Start button they come on, when I kill the car they go off once I open the driver's door. (On Gen III, you have to ask to have them die with the door, rather than 30 seconds after the door, but either front door works)

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting... most ppl up here will have their lights on if it's raining heavily or if there's lower light due to cloud cover + rain. It does help that we have DRLs (so you can see oncoming traffic) but only a few manufacturers have the taillights on as well.

@mickey: Must be a European car thing (e.g. MB)... I haven't come across a Japanese car that does that. (Heck, my smart does a single rear wiper sweep if the front ones are on and I shift into reverse. A good idea but one that is missing from the Prius)