1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want to get mods for my 07 Touring before it arrives

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ProwessIntrepid, Sep 20, 2006.

1. ProwessIntrepid

ProwessIntrepid New Member

Hello all. I wrote another topic (a sad tale of a man and his prius) a while back detailing my troubles getting a Prius. Well I finally ordered one. Its a black touring with tan interior package 2. I wanted to be ready with some mods before it gets here. If you can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. On a quick sidenote, did anybody notice that in the booklet on the Prius from the Toyota dealership, it does not refer to the car as a Prius or the Prius but rather just Prius as if it was a name like George or something. I just thought that was kinda cool and it gave the car a little personality.

I have a 5th generation ipod. (the ones just released a few days ago) I want to use the ipod to play music using the MFD and steering wheel and use its video abilities to play movies on the MFD. There is lots of talk about Vais but that website confuses me. Is there any simple solution for an 07 yet on how to play video off of the ipod? (with the least amount of fuss)

I want a dash kit but I don't know which one. I got one off of ebay for 20 bucks and it was horrible. It was like stretchy white paper. It was as thin as paper and it ended up just throwing it away. The only dash kits I have seen on the Prius on this site are the wood trims. But I don't want a luxury car I want a futuristic car. Does anyone has any advice on the kits (hopefully the more expensive ones are better then the one I got before) and have any other colors besides wood?

Do the side mirrors fold in towards the car. When I was playing around in an 06 the other day (btw, baltimore has alot of Prius's {whats the plural for Prius?} I have been in like 7 in the past couple of days) it looked like the outside mirrors were foldable. Do they have to be folded manually or can you do it from the inside. I hate when I am stuck at a redlight and some truck is behind me blasting me in the side mirrors with his nuclear powered headlights.

A very bad and mean dealership once told me that 4 Prius's were stolen in baltimore last month and that I should buy lojack and toyota vip security. I searched these forums and could not find anything about stolen Prius's. I am getting lojack no matter what, but I was wondering what vip security was. I couldn't find a website about it with any details. Does it alert you via mobile phone or fob when the Prius' alarm is going off or anything and are there better security systems available that are more suited to the Prius. I thought that a Prius couldn't be hot wired and that the only way to steal it was to tow it away or take your fob (hey, give me back my fob you sob :angry: ) Sorry for the profanity

Will there be an emblem on the outside saying Touring or something?

Thanks and please don't say that the 07's aren't out yet so we don't know anything about them. They have been out in Japan for a year. Also maybe someone should compile a nice big topic with all of the mods on them. I have to go to a bunch of different sites to get different mods for the Prius. It was really hard for me to find any info about getting video off of an ipod and onto the mfd. Thanks again and what a great Christmas I am going to have :lol:

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well good luck with your '07 when it arrives; nice color combination BTW. As far as Lojack or VIP I do not believe in those unless you live in an area where they steal cars daily. I think VIP might be the vin number etching on all the glass?

3. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well You wanted a consolidated place for mods right? Well I'm happy to tell you my site that i created has most of them. Check my Sig below and tell me what you think.

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Check my Prius mods thread as well. Lots of mods in a really long thread. Click the link in my signature.

5. ProwessIntrepid

Well I checked out the Prius wiki and the mods post but still have a couple concerns. I couldn't tell if the Vais allows one to play videos off of the ipod. I tried to use some links off of the Prius wiki to find out about subwoofer install but I am still confused. I read all of the posts on PC about subwoofers and its like another language. I have always used a subwoofer/amp combo and that think kenwood that fits inside the cargo space looks really nice. But with the talk of two batteries and things like that I couldn't understand how to do it. On my other cars I just connected the subwoofer/amp to my headunit and shutoff wire and then ran a wire and clipped it to the battery and a ground. Is it more complicated then that on a Prius. And am I to understand that there is a battery on the inside of the car? :mellow: Hopefully that makes running the wires easier then drilling holes in the floor boards to get the battery. Thanks

I liked the Priuswiki and was wondering if users can add their own guides for mods and such?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProwessIntrepid @ Sep 20 2006, 02:03 AM) [snapback]322148[/snapback]</div>
    Try the DICE group buy that's happening right now in the Audio and Electronics forum. The 2006 Prius version apparently is undergoing beta testing (finally). DICE also states on their site that you may plug in a video iPod and watch it on the screen via their iPod cradle. I'm not sure if it's that simple but check out their site at www.diceelectronics.com and maybe send them an e-mail regarding that.

As for the dash kit, you can try Sigma Automotive. He has them listed and it doesn't have to be wood. Just click on the link to see the other designs. He also sells Wheelskins at a discount.

The wing mirrors do fold but it's a manual fold. If you wish, you can purchase the auto-folding mirror from Japan (either via Carson Toyota, Sigma or JapanParts.com). Search for user naterprius as he's done that before.

As for alarms, the Prius comes with an engine immobiliser as standard equipment. The alarm is basically an audible alarm if the door locks are opened from the inside or anything is forcibly opened. That's the option in some packages. The GBS (Glass Breakage Sensor) is an accessory and will sound the alarm if the glass is tapped or broken.

Lastly, congrats on finding a Prius!

7. ProwessIntrepid

It seems like the alarms don't do that much. I have never given a car with its alarm going off a second look. I hope that I can hook up more advanced alarms like ones that page you or something. I was wondering about opinions on the dark dash kits. With a black exterior with tan inside I was hoping to eliminate the grey on the dash with a dark wood color but nobody has done dark dash kits yet. There doesn't seem like many mods I can do on the Prius though, compared to my other cars. Hopefully an EV mode button for an 07, wheelskin, wet okole seat covers, an ipod video MFD control, and a few other small things but I can't really find much in the way of competitors for certain products. For example, on Sigma there is a black organizer for the center console but its like 60 dollars. Is there any other organizers for the center console? Also what does everybody use that little slot on the dash (under the stereo) for? What did Toyota have in mind for that slot cause it doesn't seem like anything would fit in it, maybe a dvd player or something really small. And why does the stereo have a black screen like it should display something but doesn't? Does a higher package with the better sound system have a display on that blank screen? Sorry for all the questions but I can't help it...I am excited. If anybody has a pdf of the owners manual or a link for it, then that would probably keep me busy for a long time. Thanks :D

8. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I remember hearing radio commercials for lojack a few years ago that said the system could call or page you if the car was moved 'without your authorization' - I haven't heard a lojack radio commercial since then, so I don't know if that's still an option. Try looking at the lojack site?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProwessIntrepid @ Sep 21 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]322725[/snapback]</div>
    Well, then get one that pages you when the glass it tapped.

I believe someone here has a darker wood dash kit (burlwood I believe). Is that dark enough? He has a black/grey combo.

Mods? Well aside from those you've mentioned, there's adding accessories (standard in Canada) such as cargo net and mudguards as well as mods like the BT Stiffening brace (shipping now since new stock arrived), MFD hood. I've added "sport" pedals to mine and a VVT-i emblem (ya I know, it's useless) as well as an interior footwell lighting kit (be creative with this one!). Go to Darrell for LED lights (dome, door, map, vanity, cargo, licence plate).

The centre console organiser is deeper than our shelf so you won't be able to fit CDs under the organiser.

The "blank" screen would've been filled with a cassette player on JBL-equipped models for 04/05. Since they got rid of it, now JBL packages with the CD Changer still have a similar look to the standard single-disc player.

Also, I do have the 04 manual in PDF.

10. ProwessIntrepid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 22 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]323238[/snapback]</div>

I have searched for the dash kits but the search function almost never works for me. (using Safari 2.0.4 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.7) I never thought of new pedals. Where did you get yours? I would personally like more futuristic steel looking pedals. I tried figuring out what VVT was but couldn't :unsure: I definately wanted light upgrades but with LED lights seemed super expensive and with the footwell lighting kit I was worried about adding alot of strain on the battery. Mostly because I want that skinny kenwood amp/subwoofer too. I wonder if you could put LED lights or something behind that blank screen. Maybe a new digital clock or something creative like cut out an oval and a nice analog fancy clock? Anybody got suggestions? Also I wouldn't mind glancing over the 04 manual, I'll pm you. Thanks

11. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProwessIntrepid @ Sep 20 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]322339[/snapback]</div>
    YES! I'd be more than happy to accept and Guides for Mods! Honestly... that would be fantastic. I've been totally swamped on my end and can't type up the things that i've been able to do. Sighz, if you bump around the forum you'll find our old subwoofer topics. Too bad all the pics are gone :(

If you want to write anything I'd be more than happy to post it on priusmods.wiki.com hopefully that's what you're referring too. :lol:

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProwessIntrepid @ Sep 20 2006, 02:03 AM) [snapback]322148[/snapback]</div>
    You could adjust your mirrors so they don't overlap that much with the rear-view mirror.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProwessIntrepid @ Sep 20 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]322339[/snapback]</div>
    First, a quick disclaimer that if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't try it, since electricity is dangerous, etc.

Next, it really is that easy on a Prius. The system doesn't have outputs for subs, so you'll have to do a slight workaround (there are small boxes out there that you can use to tap speaker lines to create line out fairly easily). The 12V battery is also located in the trunk, not the engine compartment. Specifically, it's located under the passenger side cubby area, which makes it extremely convienient for subs.

14. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProwessIntrepid @ Sep 21 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]322725[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen the 2007 manual at tundrasolutions.com

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ProwessIntrepid @ Sep 21 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]323261[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the pedals
    [​IMG]

Here's the VVT-i emblem picture. It stands for Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence.

The footwell lightbulbs aren't that large. In fact, they're the size of some LEDs. They do get quite hot though so you might want to install LED footwell lighting instead.

Here are some pics of LED Accent lights for the exterior.
    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234132
    http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3746

16. ProwessIntrepid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 23 2006, 12:06 AM) [snapback]323748[/snapback]</div>

Woah, those pedals are awesome. I am definately adding something to change the plain black pedals. I wonder if they have a pedal for the emergency brake too. I think that I will be taking off some of the emblems, at least the one that says toyota and hopefully will get a touring one to replace it.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The pedals are actually clip-ons and aren't full replacements. The brake is held by 6 or 8 and the accelerator is held by 4. It also makes the accelerator pedal bigger since the stock one is rather small. Make sure that the accelerator can move freely without getting caught behind the floor mat when fully depressed. Mine just clears it.

If you remove the TOYOTA emblem, you'll be like the JDM Prius lol. They only have the PRIUS and HSD emblems on the right side.

18. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no one in this world or universe can steal a prius, VIP? vehicle intrusion protection? the prius comes with RS3200-like system built in, much less i doubt theres a toyota VIP system made for it, since everything can be unlocked by the THHT
    btw no one in this world or universe steal a prius

19. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Sep 24 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]324475[/snapback]</div>
    I read it twice but have no idea what this post means.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    neither do I. I think he's saying no one in their right mind would steal a Prius?