1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Want to hijack tape outputs for bluetooth audio. How?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Nine44, May 18, 2022.

1. Nine44

Nine44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see many videos on Youtube about hijacking outputs of old receivers (OE and aftermarket) to bring in BT audio to the factory system, but nothing Gen 1 Prius specific. Anyone have a tutorial or can point to one?

2. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I installed a GROM that works great and is way easy to install. Sorry I don't have a link. Just search for it.

3. Nine44

Nine44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you have to do to install the GROM? Is it straightforward? And do you have to have a CD or is the tape port compatible with GROM?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. Sohaib Alarabi

Sohaib Alarabi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm.

Hijack sounds about right

Cus thats exactly what I did when i installed a Chinese BT audio unit to my gen 1

Actually Bluetooth is all I needed because I sure have better management for the playlists on my phone and I can keep listening to the same playlist even after getting off my car
    So the audio unit has two plugs one for power and the other one for audio the audio has eight lines two for each speaker I just connected one of them and I'm happy with that but maybe in the future I'm going to Connect the rest of them
    The other plug is the power one which has four lines one of them is not important because it's for raising the antenna in the cars that has the function what's important are the three lines black red and yellow
    The black being the negative which should be connected to the ground the red being the positive on switch power which gives power when the car switched on or when you are on accessory mode the last one the yellow is the always hot memory line which keeps the device memorizing your choices and your audio level and your last used mode as if you were using the Bluetooth or the sd card player
    You should be able to use a voltmeter to check which one is the ground and which one is the on switch hotline while having the car turned on and that's how you find the lines you should connect to the black and to the red but the yellow one I didn't find any spot to connect it to so I had to make an extension for it and connected all the way to the OBD link I looked there for the power line also using the voltimeter and connected it to the power always hot from the OBD link and it's been running great eversince