1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want to replace the stereo in my car, but I need some help...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yarzy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. yarzy

yarzy New Member

Okay, I have a 2006 package 7 with the JBL system. I am not to crazy about how the system sounds, but I think there is potential for some good sounded music in there. I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer for me...

1. Can I just replace the front separates and will the sound be much better, or it is one of those things where I need to replace ALL the speakers to notice anything?

2. Are the front speakers the same as the back in the JBL system?

3. Do I need to worry about the front center channel or can I leave the alone.

4. What ohms should I be worrying about?

5. Is there any diagrams on how to replace the front set of speakers?

6. What are some decent sounding sets out there that is not going to cost an arm and a leg?

7. Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much! I really think with a little prep work, this will sound excellent.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Sep 19 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]321990[/snapback]</div>
    Most of the answers can be found with a little bit of searching here on PC. Many people agree with your evaluation of hte "premium" system, and want to, or have already, improve it. Try searching for some of hte key terms and you'll find plenty of topics on it.

If you want an in depth one try my thread about my revamping of the stereo. It's a bit more than you want though, and cost several arms and legs. But see if you get any useful information. Also, soon you can see pictures of some of the things you asked.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=24633&hl=

3. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Other threads have suggested this and I can confirm it really helps to just unplug the center speaker. This is the best "no-cost" mod you can make to the JBL radio. The center speaker is just too loud as compared to the left and right channels and just "washes" them out.

The other mod that will help is to use Dynamat or B-Quiet on the doors which significantly lowers the noise intrusion and helps the "presence" of the JBL system. Others have also suggested replacing the Goodyear Integrity tires with the Comfort-Tred tires which reduces the noise as well.

I have a new Camry Hybrid in addition to the Prius and the system in the Camry is many times better than the one in the Prius.

4. yarzy

yarzy New Member

So should I turn off the center channel after I install new speakers?

5. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Try disconnecting the center channel first before replacing speakers.

6. yarzy

yarzy New Member

Now, I know a lot of people here like the Kappa's, but are there any others that people like that sound pretty decent?

Thanks again!

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Sep 20 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]322153[/snapback]</div>
    Try a listen (in the show room of a reputable car audio shop) to any of the following:
    Diamond Audio
    Focal
    CDT
    MB Quart
    Oz Audio
    Boston Accoustics

Many of these have three tiers of cost/quality from moderately expensive to the arm & leg range.
    Once you find ones you like, if your adventureous/handy/cheap you can go fishing around on ebay
    and find some really good deals.....but you won't have the advantage of simply taking it back to the
    store if you have issues down the road.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Also, if you tell us what you consider reasonable and what is arm & leg, we can better make recommendations.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Sep 19 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]321990[/snapback]</div>
    Replacing some speakers will make a difference. The question is what you're looking to improve upon. if it's the range, then you don't need to replace all the speakers to increase it. if you want to make the sound clearer and more precise, then you would need to replace all of the speakers, as one bad speaker will really muddy things up.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Sep 19 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]321990[/snapback]</div>
    it depends on what speakers you're putting in... take a look at www.crutchfield.com. you can put in the '06 price in their "what fits my car" section, and it'll tell you which speakers work where from their product catalogue.
    Many people have unplugged it (you can pry it up and undo the connector fairly easily/quickly).
    While it doesn't effect range, it does muddy things up by combining the left and right channels. Do this mod first for some increased clarity in sound.
    If you use crutchfield for at elast part of your research, you'll get a good idea of what works well with the Prius stock system.
    Yes, all over the place... i believe Sparky's is the prefered one on the boards.
    Define arm and a leg.:lol:
    these are good starting questions, do some research and if at all possible get into some soundbooths/show rooms with the speakers you're looking at to judge how much the system will improve. From there, i'm sure you'll have mroe questions.

10. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Sep 19 2006, 06:04 PM) [snapback]321990[/snapback]</div>
    The second thing you should do (after disconnecting the center speaker) is look into getting a subwoofer. This was the one mod that made the largest difference. My sub cost ~$150.

11. yarzy

yarzy New Member

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

I am thinking that if I could stay under the $200 for speakers, that would be great. Am I dreaming with the number?

By disconnecting the center channel, do I need to take the entire dash apart to do this?

Since it mostly just me in the car, I would love to start with the front separates to add some brightness and decent sound, and move onto the back/center. Does this make sense?

Thanks again!

12. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, you can leave the dash intact. Take a look at http://evnut.com/prius_mfd_video.htm, where Darell pops up the speaker to get at the wires behind the MFD. Note that he says he disconnects the speaker as he does this so he can have plenty of room to work with... you basically do the same thing, except leave ti disconnected and just pop the speaker right back in!

13. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Sep 19 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]321990[/snapback]</div>

1. Replace the front speakers makes a huge difference if you have stock non-JBL...

2. not sure but i don't see why they wouldn't

3. most people say to disconnect it

4. i used 4 and wouldn't go any lower.

5. yes im looking for it right now because i need to rewire my front speakers, darn connections went bad

6. i went with kappa series. I think i got the rear speakers for something like 80 and the fronts for like 160 i think... 240 isn't bad for a whole car speaker replacement.... but if you have the JBL sys you probally would use the 160$ ones because they are a compont set... the 80$ ones aren't...

7. It'll cost an arm and a leg but there is something called cleansweep by JL. I just got it and i have heard ALOT of good things about it from some friends and audio nerds i know... its pretty pricy thou :-/