1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want to swap ENGINE, is there a thread that has STEPS?????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rogertbp, Apr 8, 2013.

1. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is very Simple. I am swapping the engine on a 2004. how do I disconnect the HV Battery? where is the interlock switch located. I can handle the mechanical stuff. mounts cooling lines etc. JUST BATTERY STUFF.

I have search repeatedly, REPEATEDLY, for "engine swap, steps, procedures" "battery disconnect, HV battery" and do NOT find the simple obviously known information to all that have gone before me.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To disconnect the battery read the HV Battery Dismantle Guide.

This is how to replace the transaxle: http://www.geekdoom.com/Prius/Official%20Toyota%20Info/Repair%20Information/Repair%20Manual/HX%20-%20Hybrid%20Transmission%20Transaxle.pdf

Usually people do not just replace the engine, the failure rate is so low it is cheaper to buy a transaxle than an engine. You unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one, and you're done. The disassembly many many pages in, will show you have to get the engine off of there if I remember correctly.

Attached Files:

4. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THank you gentlemen, I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH. I will post accordingly when I finish. thanks much.

5. blaisep

blaisep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So Roger,

Did you do the engine swap? I'm thinking of it myself and was wondering how it went for you?