1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I was offered below MSRP on PKG 7 - why ?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by jayeliot, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jayeliot

jayeliot New Member

Got a call from my dealer. He knew that I only wanted package 3 as I am not willing to load up with NAVI and 6 disc stereo system. But he did want to give me another test drive on a Prius that was available immediately. It was package 7 and had not been pre-sold. After the test drive, he told me that his manager was willing to sell it for $1,000 below the $27,000 msrp .

Why would he do that when all I have heard is that these things are flying off the shelf ?

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it an '06 or an '05? Does it have any miles or damage?

3. QED

QED New Member

Because you're a nice guy? :D

4. jayeliot

jayeliot New Member

It was an '06 (unless he was trying to pull a fast one on me). He did show me another '06 that was used in their loaner car fleet. It was a package 9 I think - had blue tooth and more. With 4,600 miles, he would have sold that to me for around $24,500.

What was surprising about both these offers was that this large dealership was receiving almost no Prius' this month from the factory and yet he was like trying to unload the two he had.

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hummm, there is no package 9 for the '06 model. Be wary.

6. QED

QED New Member

Considering the demand in most places, it does seem a little odd, but not unprecedented.

Maybe the next thing to do is check the 'out-the-door' price! And see how serious they are.

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Yeah, they could easily recoup the $1k with extra "fees".

8. jayeliot

jayeliot New Member

Just got a call from another dealer in the central NJ area. Says he has 3 Prius available - don't know the package number but the msrp was $24 K and change. I asked how he could have 3 available and he said that there were cancellations. They went down their waiting list to find a replacement buyer, but everyone else wanted either another package or another color. They called me based on an internet query I placed with them earlier last week.

So, I am wondering why I have been offered 5 cars in the past 9 days.

9. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many people put down deposits at several dealers. This must screw up the system somewhat. Perhaps the Regions have shipped more cars than actual buyers?

10. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
    So. You gonna buy one or not?

11. jayeliot

jayeliot New Member

Probably not. When I put my name on the list, I wanted the basic package with side air bags (pkg 3 ?) with an msrp of around $22 K. When 2006 rolled around, my dealer told me that they will not be getting in package 3. I called around and all the dealers said the same thing. So, since I have no need for fancy cd disc player and hi fi quality, why should I spring for another $2K.

I find that the car seat is a bit uncomfortable. I have problems with lower back pain and I need a more comfortable seat. I wish that the Prius came with power seats as an option. Then this would be a no brainer for me.

One other very small problem is that one cannot install a remote starter in a Prius. I use my remote starter around 10 - 15 times a year when there is ice on the windows.

I also do not think that I will get the tax credit as I have crossed into the alternative minimum tax category last year. A CPA friend says that she thinks I can get the credit, but on lots of threads here, they say no.

I would love to save on gas and help the environment, but I think I will wait a couple of more years and see what is available. I've driven the HCH and actually like the ride better than the Prius. The HCH looks nicer and has much better visability. But I need more cargo space and rear seat room that the Prius offers. So the HCH is out for now.

I will probably purchase a Camry and based on my 1999 Camry - 29 mpg, I expect to achieve around 30 -31 mpg overall with a 2006