1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I was rear ended - how long do you think average repair will take

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Asmyth14, May 18, 2021.

1. Asmyth14

Asmyth14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was rear-ended by a car going 50 mph while I was at a stop at a red light. The insurance people do not think it is totaled even though the impound lot people do. They cant get it looked at until mid next week and it is kind of frustrating to not have a car. Based on the damage to the back of my car does anyone have a rough estimate on how long all the repair work would take? Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd be better to ask a Crash repairer for an idea - but it will always depend on what hidden damage is "discovered" when they start disassembling the area.

And how available parts and panels are.

It must be close to being totaled, I'd have thought.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As @alanclarkeau kindly points out, it’s difficult to write a collision repair estimate just from photos.

Besides disassembling the outer panels to check for damage underneath, a good body shop will also measure the distances between specified points on the body and compare these with the standard dimensions in the Collision Repair Manual (more info) or a similar resource, to determine how the body was deformed by the impact forces and which parts must be straightened or replaced.

Once the true extent of the damage is known, assuming the car isn’t then declared a total loss, the repair time will depend on parts availability—if the shop could get a complete back door from a salvage yard, for example, that would save the time needed to get a door panel, glass, trim, and other parts from Toyota and build the assembly—and on the shop’s workload and the skill of its craftspeople.

Time might also be required for so-called “mechanical” repairs to the car’s systems: some body shops do this work in-house, but others sublet it to a Toyota dealer or independent shop. Either way, be sure someone uses the Health Check feature of a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system to scan for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), as Toyota recommends in Collision Repair Information Bulletin 2016-191, “Scanning for Electrical System Faults” (PDF).

I’d plan to be without this car for several weeks, at least—but that’s really just a guess.

Valiant V and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pictures of the sides of the car's sheet metal will be more diagnostic as far as serious damage go. Obviously, you'll need a rear bumper, hatch, window(s), etc.

Seeing wrinkles or waves in the quarter panels would be a tip-off that you have some serious "frame" (unibody) damage and unless you have a REALLY good shop - you'd be better off if the car were totaled.

Bent cars -can- be straightened, but most are never as straight as they were before the accident.

From the pics, it honestly doesn't -look- too bad for a 50MpH hit.

Do all four doors open and close properly? Are the gaps around the doors even? Do you see any wrinkles or ripples in the roof? Any of those things mean major unibody damage and could easily push repair cost into "totaled" territory.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m thinking the same; suspect it was more like 30 mph. What was the posted speed limit?
    Again, same thought.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Wow, that sucks!

You all understand why I have a roof rack for my bicycles now, I'm sure.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind, it was 7 months ago