1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I went to get my car today and I couldn't get it!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Jan 6, 2006.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Okay so I went down to Longo Toyota today to get my black on dark grey package # 8 Prius. First of all, it's gorgeous and I can't be happier with my choice. But anyway, my mom and I sat in the car and learned all about the navigation and all the fun stuff the car offers and then I test drove it again. Everything was fine and I didn't notice anything weird in terms of a smell in the car. The air conditioning was on though I must mention.

Anyway, about an hour and a half later after we had been inside working out details and so forth, I went out again to see the back up camera because I completely forgot to look at it the first time. So my salesman said to get in and put the car in reverse. I got in the car and about 5 seconds later my eyes started to burn up and water like someone threw fire at my face. I was also able to taste something weird from breathing in the air in the car. No air conditioning was on now though. I thought I was gonna die so I told him to get in because something weird was going on. He got in and said yeah I do smell something. Then my mom jumped in the back seat and about 5 seconds later she jumped out and said oh my god what is that!?!? Her eyes were bright red and watering. So my sales guy said he thinks it was the cleaning product used to clean the leather. I can't imagine that was cleaning product!!! We didn't smell it at all before but I am wondering if it was because the air conditioning was on during our test run. When we smelled it later on the car had been sitting out in the sun for a little while.

I am concerned that it was from the engine or something. The car only had 1 mile on it and after we test drove it had 5. What could this possibly be!?!? I am supposed to come back Saturday to get it after they air it out a bit. But I don't want to take this particular car if there is something wrong :(

Anyone have this problem with the Prius!? I am very confused.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Though Toyota tries really hard, I think you got a dose of New Car Smell. It's all the plasticizers from the plastics and the leather tanning and treatment and the glues and the carpet. Heat and lack of ventilation make it more pronounced. The good news is that it goes away over time. I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with the engine.

Good luck with your new car. Keep the windows open when driving for the first few weeks, and when the car has been closed in a parking lot, sitting in the sun, open the doors and hatch to let the hot air, and stink, out before getting in.

3. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm I have had new cars all my life and usually the new car smell is wonderful. This was different though. I can't imagine a new car smell making my eyes burn up and water. It literally felt like my face had been burned with fire while I took a big scoop of horse radish and ate it like it was whipped cream lol. I swear it wasn't a new car smell. But maybe you are right....who knows.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    this is a newer car with newer chemical formulations. there has been a couple articles that discussed the fumes given off by new cars and it aint good. keeping the car well ventilated is a very good suggestion.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Could it have been the engine coating for the boat ride over? Perhaps it wasn't removed? From what I understand, the engines of cars are treated with a cover to make sure the salt-water of the ocean doesn't start corroding them. The port people are supposed to clean them off. I remember back in the "early days" of the G2 Prius people were posting about a terrible engine smell from the vents.

Could this be related?

[Edit]
    Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3215&hl=
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=5205&hl=

6. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ^ Yeah maybe that was what was causing the fumes.

7. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

On the way home with my new 2005 I though that it must be burning oil.
    Terrible smell, stopped and looked under it to see if there was an oil leak
    onto the muffler, because it was burning my eyes.

Turns out it was the undercoating. They had applied some to the exhause
    pipe or muffler evidently because the oder diminished as I drove the 30
    miles home. Also, there is the muffler heat shield, maybe something there
    smells when new.

Anyway, no smell the second day of ownership.

Rod

8. castlecain

castlecain Junior Member

Also, this forum needs a spell checker. I never notice my
    typing mistakes until after I upload them, even when I try to preview
    them first. And, my typing skill is terrible while laying on my bed
    using my computer.
    Rod

9. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well I am supposed to go back tomorrow to get my car and I tried to get ahold of my sales guy all day to see if he found out what caused the fumes and the burning of my eyes. Of course today is his day off!!! :angry: But anyway, hopefully tomorrow the smells will be gone!!!!

10. coolfire74

coolfire74 New Member

I got my Prius yesterday, and felt the same way as you did. But I did not get rash or anything like that, just the new car smells was not pleasant. After one day driving, I think it is better now. It is still there, but much better. Hopefully after one week or so, it will totally gone.
    Hope it helps.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll drrenk to that!

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Eye sea know knead.

13. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    TonyPSchaefer of Chicagoland is our spellchecker, but he's busy a lot and doesn't catch everything. :p

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you buy undercoating, paint sealant, fabric protection, or some other useless dealer-applied chemical crap? That may be the problem.

If not: if you can stand to do it, check to see whether the smell is worst at the battery vent on the far right side of the passenger seat. That would indicate a possible electrical problem which the dealer ought to be able to find and fix.

15. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll bet it's just the 'new car smell'. Our new 06 stinks so badly that my wife immediately commented on it when she opened the garage door. It actually gives her a headache if she is around it for very long. The windows are all open, so hopefully it will air out soon. This is not the 'pleasant' new car smell of yore.

16. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I spoke to my salesman and supposedly the smell is all gone now. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday but I was unable to make it down there!!! He is holding it for me until tomorrow. He can't give it away just yet because we have a deposit on it so I am not that worried.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Get one of those nice smelly things that perfumes the joint..... and you can also take it out for a few spins at 70mph with the windows down.

usually fumes are worse when its hot..... So if the iwndows have been up on a sunny day, it will be worse.

I drove a new prius yesterday and it was rainy and cold, and I could still smell funky chemical smell.. but it wan't obnoxious. If not for your thread I may not have noticed it. But the smell wasn't "pleasant" like most new car smells are... I could tell it was powerful chemicals. Maybe you can mask it with a pleasant smell for a while.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    fumes from new cars are pretty well known. the Prius compounds the problem by being a new car a fairly air tight. i had a film on the windshield from it.

19. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On your way there, maybe you can stop at a convenience store and pick up a "new car scent" mirror hanger to cover the smell of your new car. :)

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Some dead shrimp under the seat works pretty well! :p