1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I went to the gas station and this is what happened

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by boppo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just got my 2006 last week and I had 3/4 of a tank so it said. I started pumping and the pump clicked off with $2.50 on the dial, so I kept putting in gas to top it off like I do on my camry. I was up to $9.56 and going real slow when she started to throw up on me. Is it possible to fill it up to the top like my camry?

I have one more question, If I had 3/4 of a tank how could I of put over 5.6 gallons in less what she threw up.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I can get a gallon in usually after it clicks off but wow, if it clicked off after $2.50 and you kept forcing that much more in there it isn't a wonder she threw up on ya. It's a bladder in there, not a regular tank. This has been discussed many times now but don't force much more in there once it clicks off or it spitting fuel back at you is a common result.

It took that much because you kept expanding the bladder more and more and finally she just gave way... Lesson learned I guess like too many Prius owners.

3. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply, I would say it was about a 1/4 quart or less. I guess the next time I fill it up I will not set the pump to run without my hand. I will pump it slow untill it clicks off, that way I can top it off better.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just forget about 'topping off' the Prius like you did your old vehicles... Trust me, keep doing it and you may be taking another bath sometime soon. Like I said, once it clicks for me I can usually get another gallon in (if even that, maybe a buck or a dollar fifty more) but its not worth trying to squeeze all you can in there. I'm not on all the tech like many on here but putting too much can also screw something up I think like the evaporative system... or something like that, maybe someone else can address that one better.

A full tank that is just regularly filled nets 450-500 miles anyways, why try to get that extra little bit in there...

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model: