1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I will never buy another Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TWI, Dec 5, 2007.

1. TWI

TWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I keep getting these &(*^&)& automated calls saying, "Your Toyota vehicle will need [some maintenance work] soon. Please stop in...."

Crap, I can monitor what the heck the car needs to have done. Besides, I do not recall signing any form which gave Toyota permission to call my phone at random times to remind me to have my car serviced. I have twice called the dealership where I bought my Prius and both times I was told it is a Toyota corporate system and them can't remove me from the list.

Hey, I know a way to remove me from the list: Sell the *&)&^&^ car and never buy another Toyota.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a corporate thing. If you get the call and are on a no-call list and you tell them not to call any more you can report them and they'll face stiff fines.
    This is something the local Toyota dept. is doing as I've never gotten a call...though I do get some snail mail and e-mails.

Again, it's not 'Toyota'...it's your dealer trying to get money from you from oil changes. TMC and TMC USA get none of that.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seconded, that it's a dealer and not Toyota as a whole. Find out
    what dealer it is, go down there and get hold of whoever's in charge
    of these notifications, and have them remove you. Repeat through
    the inevitable several times that they will fail to do so until it
    finally happens.
    I *still* get "bring in your Subaru" promo in the mail.
    _H*

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That won't work. I still remember getting service "reminders" for our Corolla months after it was totalled lol.

Anyway, it's not Toyota's fault. It's the dealership that's sending the automated messages.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Remind the dealer the fine is $11,000 for a violation of the "do not call" law. I bet they figure out fast how to stop it.
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt107.shtm

DO not let them BS you about a "business relationship," either:

My number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. After I bought something from a company, a telemarketer representing that organization called me. Is this a violation?

No. By purchasing something from the company, you established a business relationship with the company. As a result, even if you put your number on the National Do Not Call Registry, that company may call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase or delivery from it, or your last payment to it, unless you ask the company not to call again. In that case, the company must honor your request not to call. If they subsequently call you again, they may be subject to a fine of up to $11,000.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ohhh, nobody gets away with that BS with me. lay the smack down on that dealership.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TWI, listen to her lol.

8. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I guess at some level, given enough people, these calls must work because otherwise why would businesses continue such an annoying (that is infuriating) practice? I've been fortunate. The dealership I bought from just sends me pleading letters and bribes (coupons) when the Prius' service time rolls around.

9. stevelawrence

stevelawrence Junior Member

I third the opinion that it's your dealer. I've never gotten a call from 'Toyota' - but do occasionally get mailin's, and I also have the TAC thingy, which mails me service details I've had.

Steve.

10. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    TWI, are you perhaps in the infamous Southeast or Gulf States region? Those are not run by Toyota Corporation, but by separate companies. In any case, it is definitely not the ultimate Toyota Corporation of North America (or whatever the US arm of the company is called) that is making those calls...it's either the individual dealer or maybe the companies that run those two particular regions. Do you have Caller ID to capture the telephone number that is calling? You may be able to block that number (if that's a feature you have with your phone service).

Sorry about your troubles...and never buy a car from that dealer again!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your dealership is lieing.

No one from Toyota has ever called me about servicing.

I got one call a few weeks after I bought my car asking if I would participate on a ratings survey on my experiences with the dealership. The survey arrived shortly after that and that was it. That was the one and only time I've every been called.

12. Mawcawfee

Mawcawfee Prius-less (for now)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    TWI,

Automated phone calls like that (solicitations) are illegal, even if you have an established business relationship, unless you authorize the caller in writing to do so. The fines are large ($500+ per call, Federal plus any additional State fines) and get passed on to you if you file suit against the offender and win (which is not difficult). If you find out who it is, don't bother calling them. No doubt they know they are violating the law. Just report them to the FCC every time you receive a call. Use this link to file complaints online in a few minutes:
    https://esupport.fcc.gov/form1088/consumer.do
    Selection option "Prerecorded message received at a residential telephone". Print a copy of every complaint you file and save it for your records.

Using an inexpensive phone voice recorder to record the automated calls and a log book to record date/time is priceless evidence if/when you hear back from the FCC and/or file a small claims suit against the offender. If you have caller ID and a phone number shows up, the phone company can guide you through through a few simple legal steps to get the caller's name and address.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The automated calls are infuriating, because there's no person you can tell to not call you again. As KTPhil points out, if you ask a company or organization not to call you, they are then forbidden from calling even if they are exempt from the Do Not Call list itself. But with automated calls you cannot do this because there's nobody to tell.

The problem is that automated calls usually have caller ID blocked, so no number is shown, and it just says (on my phone) "Out of Area" or "Private caller."

I solve this issue by not answering calls unless there's a number shown on the caller ID. There is no legitimate reason for blocking caller ID. If you do not want the person you are calling to know it's you, you probably are a malicious caller. So I don't answer. They can leave a message, and if it's legitimate I'll call them back. (I also shut off my phone ringer when I go to bed or take a nap, and sometimes if I have a visitor and don't care to be interrupted.)

However, back on topic, I have never received such calls from Toyota. Only junk mail with service coupons or car ads.

14. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

You *could* annoy them back?

Try the old *69 after they call, and see who answers...

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got no problem w/ my Toyota Business relationship.
    I LOVE to give my number out.
    It's our FAX.
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE whaaa whaa whaaa squeeeee.

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They used to call me too, I changed the number.. I now give them an email address thats for an account that is filtered so that all mail sent to it automaticly goes into the trash.. :)

I only give the addy out when asked for an email account. Its great, Thanks Yahoo! ;)

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ditto, no calls here. Its the dealership.

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And just how does this qualify for the Main Prius Forum????
    [man, there has been a rash of these things since the PriusChat software upgrade.]