1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I95 Express lanes open (bye bye free HOV for Hybrids)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Dec 23, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a big HOV change in Virginia, the new Interstate-95 HOT-3 lanes are open!

We affectionately call them the "Lexus lanes" due to the high tolls. Open 2 weeks on trial basis, as of Jan-1 tolls go live and hybrids no longer have free I95 HOV access (hybrids still OK on I-66 with HOV plates).

I-95 is the famous HOV lane that made hybrids popular when Virginia allowed free HOV access to hybrids around 2001. Believe VA was the first to try this, and as a result, hybrids sold here like hot cakes.

Virginia hybrid HOV rules are a bit unsual: new hybrid owners get very limited free HOV access. But early adopters of hybrids (2001-2006 and to a lesser extent 2006-2011) are grandfathered to full free HOV access as long as they keep buying hybrids, they can keep their HOV plates. Therefore the loss of free hybrid HOV access on I-95 represents a partial loss of our HOV ownership "retention" incentive here. Reportedly about 10000 hybrid owners were still grandfathered to use the I-95 HOV lanes for free.

The picture is very complex however. Arlington county did not allow the HOT3 lanes, so we still have a small stretch of regular HOV inside the VA Beltway (I395). Nobody really understands how the HOT lanes going to work: we don't the know the variable toll prices, and we don't know how the heck drivers are going to get off the HOT3 lanes (in an orderly manner) where they end in Alexandria. So we eagerly await the first big work days (Jan-2 into 2015).

BTW this is the same stretch that has the famous car pool system called "slugging". Many of my neighbors are sluggers. Sluggers are probably going to be OK, but there is less incentive for drivers to slug if they are willing to pay the tolls for HOV access.

Also those cutting through VA for vacation now have traffic work-around if you are willing to pay the high toll prices. You need a EZPass to use the HOT lanes, and special EZPass with a switch to get free HOT-3 access assuming you have 3 passengers. We finally ditched our NJ EZPass and got the new VA EZPass with the swtich.

Express Lanes as Precursors to Ubiquitous Road Pricing | Bacon's Rebellion

#1 wjtracy, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I vaguely remember reading a bit on VA's solo access requirements .... couldn't you have a 19mpg (albeit a hybrid) SUV Caddy - and still go solo?
    wow

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this the area i hit from the beltway to fredericksburg every winter? worst traffic between here and fl.:eek:

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are partially correct...just about any hybrid will do here for free HOV...but in 2001-2006 when the HOV benefits were so great, alls we had was Prius, Insight and Civic maybe Exporer so we got those mostly then. But since then we do have hybrid diversity for that reason, and its not such a bad thing to have a lot of types.

...that's exactly right from DC down to Fredricksburg area....

#4 wjtracy, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all these years i've been stuck in traffic in our hycam, not knowing we could have driven the hov.:mad: we've been going every winter since 2004, and the last few years have been the worst. seems like an awful lot of development.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Suburban Washington hasn't managed the snob zoning thing the way that the Greater Boston area has.

*And* a lot of money had flowed in that area for a long time.

I grew up in Wayland, MA

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, we don't have that kind of multi housing development. roads are clogged enough around here.:)

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not you Bisco, we only used to let VA HOV plate hybrids in there, but I never used the HOV lanes either

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i get it, thanks. i would do almost anything to skip that part of the drive, just when the traffic starts to peter out, that's where we get off of the first night.:rolleyes:

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I avoid High Occupancy Vehicle lanes, even when we've sufficient occupants: just too fast and cut-throat for me.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can see what you mean, but 60 miles of stop and go is a killer at 6:00pm.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bisco, when going through the area I would go down the east side of the Beltway at "commuting time". It's worst when you can see your destination but traffic isn't moving.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Going from our 'burb to downtown we're lucky to have options, either the TransCanada freeway, higher speed, HOV left lane, or the Barnet highway, a lower speed, 2 lane (each direction) sally along the ocean inlet. On the latter there's rush hour only HOV, and it's the right lane. My 2 cents, left lane HOV is a recipe for disaster. Anyway, we go the Barnet, haven't got on that freeway in quite a while. Takes a bit longer, but easier no the nerves, better mpg too.

The freeway's in blue, Barnet in grey:

Capture.JPG

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's for sure. are you saying the east side is faster, or you just can't see your destination?

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I go to visit my brother in South Hill, Va., I time it to go through there before the afternoon rush hour and avoid a lot of traffic. ;)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the best way, but leaving here in the morning, our only options are to leave a few hours earlier (4 am, not gonna happen:cool:) or stay the night in maryland, before hitting dc, which spoils the next two days and you have to avoid the beltway the next morning.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So now you could come down the Virginia side of Beltway and get on toll lanes up at MD border (up by Tysons conner) and take toll lanes around Beltway and on down to Fredricksburg. But the top of the Beltway in MD is often a mess so we always try to check traffic to see which way around Beltway we want to go. Going the "wrong" way around Beltway adds about 10-minutes for us so if we think we got more than 10-minutes traffic we go the other way around.

bisco likes this.
  18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My destination is the Hilton in Tyson's Corner so there really isn't an alternate route. I do my best to ensure I am past Silver Spring MD by 2:00 or 3:00 so that I'm off the Interstates before they really back up. When the timing isn't right I'm sitting on the Beltway looking at my destination. If only there was a service ramp into the hotel's parking lot.

Coming from Boston there are so many places rush hour needs to be avoided.

Bisco, the east side is faster because it cuts through the less populous side of DC although stadium traffic probably jams everything up. Springfield VA has a lot of hotels & is south of the Beltway.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We plan to go through there tomorrow. Nothing beats Christmas for avoiding I95 traffic.

20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I challenge the VA folks who planned this to come up with a sign which explains all this to a non native occasional traveler in a safe manner that can be read from a car traveling 60+ MPH in dense traffic. Sounds like the get on point could be really dangerous with last minute decision making.

My usual entry point is 123 at Woodbridge only because I am going to the 123/66 area in Oakton. And I'm coming in counter rush-hour and marvel at the huge backups going downstate.