1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IBM computer chip

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 21, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If a little light on the technical details, this article describes a neat approach for multi-processor and cache memory.

Source:

. . . Their massive NorthPole processor chip eliminates the need to frequently access external memory, and so performs tasks such as image recognition faster than existing architectures do — while consuming vastly less power.

“Its energy efficiency is just mind-blowing,” says Damien Querlioz, a nanoelectronics researcher at the University of Paris-Saclay in Palaiseau. The work, published in Science1, shows that computing and memory can be integrated on a large scale, he says. “I feel the paper will shake the common thinking in computer architecture.”

NorthPole runs neural networks: multi-layered arrays of simple computational units programmed to recognize patterns in data. A bottom layer takes in data, such as the pixels in an image; each successive layer detects patterns of increasing complexity and passes information on to the next layer. The top layer produces an output that, for example, can express how likely an image is to contain a cat, a car or other objects.
    . . .

I imagine this is like a checkers board with each row consisting of alternating CPUs and memory. In effect, the nearest layer comes from a camera whose pixels are then processed through successive rows of memory and simple CPUs. The memory resembles cache for access and as the data passes through each row (aka., layer) of processors, it advances to another memory layer connected to more, simple CPUs.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess i'll hang on to my stock

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just thinking out loud, you might consider converting some part of the IBM to TSLA.

The TSLA Q3 report has depressed the stock price due downtime and costs associated with new products: (1) Model 3 refresh; (2) battery advances; (3) Tesla Semi release, and; (4) Model Y upgrades. In effect, Q3 was building the Q4 and Q1-2024 manufacturing foundries. Both sales and profit margins should be much better Q4 and especially Q1-2024. Of course there is the 'one heart beat' risk.

IBM has its moments of inspiration. <under>IBM let Microsoft screw up their personal computer. The IBM PowerCPU was another brilliant design eclipsed by f*ckin' Intel.</under> IBM often lays a solid foundation that others build sh*tty shanties on.

Of course there are significant risks in any investment. Just wanted to share my thinking.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my dad trained with ibm to repair their selectric typewriters i inherited the stock from him and could never sell it, but i have cash and other assets i could sell that no longer pay dividends.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My IBM history has fond memories too.

The Marines assigned me tobe a computer operator:
    • First duty station was a pin fed, paper from a box, OCR font typewriter.
      • Requested mast (@ETC(SS) knows what this is) because this was not my enlistment 'ground electronics' guaranteed. The "payback" led to transfer from Kansas City to Okinawa Japan.
    • Orders sent me to the warehouse company on Okinawa. Programmed a KP 29 program card that doubled productivity.
      • Turned down offer to stay, "Top Sargent, I've already been sent to Okinawa. I might as well request mast again."
    • Three weeks later, transferred to B company, computer operations.
      • First comment when I checked in, "Why are you here?" Answer, "I'm your new computer operator." Reply,"We don't need another operator."
      • Figuring out the Marines would not be my career, went to night school starting with Japanese I, the hardest course I could find. Decided I was still college capable.
      • Three months front desk taking card decks and handing out reports. The most impressive submission being a box of Hollerith cards with tire tracks on the top.
    • Three months later, moved to day-shift computer room with an IBM 360, OS-MFT working with Okinawa nationals.
      • OJT learned to operate Varian 620i driving OCR page reader (same OCR font as Kansas City.)
      • Developed a 2 minute, Varian reboot that replaced a +20 minute paper tape system. Got a reward check.
      • Witnessed a Marine Captain who had a traveling, hardware monitor kit to check IBM 360 operations. The 'lifers' did not like him but everyone, even the unit commander feared and respected him. I decided being an Operating System programmer was a very good job.
      • Term paper assignment, ran a report of IQ scores vs enlisted and officer grades:
        • E1-E5 had a minimum of 120 IQ (assigned by HQ personnel)
        • E6-E7 had median 110 IQ (re-enlistment choice)
        • all others including officers, 100 IQ
    • Last 18 months, HQ Marine Corp computer operator
      • Learned to read dumps including diagnosis and fix of an intermittent, latent OS-MVT defect.
      • Took three programming language courses one semester and learned how all programming languages work.
      • Pulled off floor last six months and assigned a programming assignment:
        • Fortran - Master Gunnery Sargent started project.
        • Cobol - 1st Lieutenant 'took over' project.
        • Mark IV - Major 'took over' project and I had to learn the language.
      • One day, the latent OS-MVT bug was forcing a mid-day reboot when I wanted to work. With permission, demonstrated my fix. Later got a $600 award check.
      • Honorable discharge from Marines.
    • Computer operator at IBM mainframe, Service Bureau
      • Asked for $7,500 was offered $9,000
      • Three weeks later, the operators were offered a job in 'production control' and everyone else took one step back leaving me.
      • One year later, offered apprenticeship in Operating System Group.
      • Diagnosed a latent defect in the IBM channel controller and made a patch fix in OS-MVT.
      • Management change put Cliff Block (head) in charge and a former Marine coworker led to a job change.
    • General Electric operating system programmer
      • Waiting for clearance, worked with PDP-11, PDP-8, and DEC-20, designed a parallel port to serial adapter to transfer PDP-8 documents to DEC-20.
      • Diagnosed a latent data defect in an IBM 360 controller and software workaround to avoid rebooting.
      • Switched to VAX/VMS operating systems.
      • Using IBM TSO, condensed a six program system into three or four with a 3x, runtime cost savings.
      • Diagnosed a ground fault in IBM mainframes when ethernet was coax.
    This ended my IBM work that I still have fond memories.

Bob Wilson