1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE Air Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by markabele, Jan 17, 2015.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    At what mileage is the first change recommended?

Is there a certain brand or kind everyone on here prefers? (Amazon links would be appreciated)

Thanks!

PS. I posted this in here because I believe we can go more mileage than the regular Gen3's can go on their air filter.

2. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I believe it's 30K miles. The fact our engines don't run as much as a regular Gen3 is not considered in the recommendation.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a change interval in the Owner's Manual, but also an instruction to check it. It really depends on the environment, dust in the air: pop the hood and have a look at it.

We're closing in on 50000 km, and in the Canadian book the limit for replacement is spec'd 48000 km, but I'm not going to replace for a while: it still looks almost new.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the volts are using oil quality analysis for change rate. i'm going to do that with my oil and air filter as well. if it's reasonably clean, i'm just going to blow it out and re install it.

F8L likes this.
  5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    How much does an "oil quality analysis" cost compared to an oil change? :eek:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the car does it for you, don't ask me how. maybe it's a software program based on operating conditions and pre programmed parameters?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda has a built-in "Maintenance Minder" now, that counts down percentage, then displays a maintenance code; there's no hard-and-fast printed schedule. For example, change the oil, or change the oil and filter, and so on. It's not just a dumb odometer counter, the intervals vary, looks like someone doing longer trips get longer interval. I'd guess it's monitoring several factors, say number of startups, mean coolant temp, etcetera.

Capture.JPG

KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy likes this.
  8. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I change my air filters every ten thousand miles, but usually blow it out once or twice in between. It costs me less than €10 so not a big deal to change twice a year.

It might be overkill, but when I have the old and new side by side at 10k miles, I feel there's no harm in replacing due to the v low cost

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hold the air filter up to the light, if the light's bright looking through it, put it back in. I also hit it with a vacuum cleaner on the intake side, before I put it back in the housing.

10. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I live in a Chicago suburb. The air is dirty here. I just changed my cabin filter and engine air filter at 10,000 miles. Both were dirty. I'll change both of my filters at 10,000 miles as you do.

Tony D likes this.
  11. KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi !! Does anyone have any opinion of, say, an HKS "super hybrid" air filter ?? Anyone using one ?? Thanks !!;)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of it. if it costs more than the oem, it's a waste of money.

KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy likes this.
  13. KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    $35 to $40... depending

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's not a bad price. i like the oem with charcoal, i think it's around $35.

Okinawa likes this.
  15. KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    @bisco
    isn't the filter with charcoal for the cabin air filter ?? the HKS filter that I am referring too is for the Engine.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i knew that.:oops:

17. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Engine air filters have nothing to do with fuel economy, and very little to do with power and performance. The "gas" pedal is actually an air valve called the throttle. Its purpose is to restrict airflow into the engine. The computer then injects fuel in proportion to how much air is allowed into the engine. In other words, airflow to the engine is purposely restricted by the throttle in every every pedal position except for wide open throttle (floored). A dirty air filter doesn't restrict airflow until the gas pedal is fully pressed. Even then, it merely limits peak power.

I never replace engine air filters unless they get damaged or soaked with oil. All other times I merely knock the dirt off and vacuum at every oil chance (once per year). I avoid oil foam filters (K&N) because they aren't as easy to clean and admit more particles through.