1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE Behaving Strangely after Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sfl109415, May 10, 2008.

1. sfl109415

sfl109415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just went in to the dealer at 15000 and had an oil change and tire rotation. The vehicle was running perfect before with current mpgs in the high 50s.

Of course they overfilled it as was expected. My wife did drive it the next day and I took it in and made them change it again, of course they overfilled it again.

So I spent 2 bucks at auto zone, bought a manual siphon, and siphoned out enough to put it at or just below the full line.

During the time between the first and second oil change the mileage dropped into the low 50s which I knew would happen. But I noticed the ICE was kicking on and off way too much and the car would jump so much my wife would ask if I felt that lunge when it kicked on and off. I told her I thought that behavior was related to the crankcase being overfilled and that mileage should return to normal now that I have returned it to a normal level.

Question is: The fact that the ICE is cycling on in places where before the service we would normally stay in electric mode, is this a symptom of crankcase overfilling or could they have done something else. I know lowered MPGs is a symptom of crankcase overfilling, just didn't know about the ICE behavior.

Also is there a relearning curve for the ECU now that oil level has returned to normal so that the ICE may return to it's normal behavior after a few days.

Thanks
    SL

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi SL. Are all your radio presets still there? Disconnecting the 12V battery can make the ECU lose its mind and have to relearn, but it knows nothing of the oil level. Your presets go too when the 12V battery is disconnected, and there's no reason to for an oil change.

I have no idea why your ICE is acting odd. Could it be your hypervigilance knowing that the dealer overfilled the oil? If the dealer messed something up, the dealer should fix it.

3. sfl109415

sfl109415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK I see your point about the presets. Could be my hypervigilance but I really don't think so. This ICE is kicking on repeatedly in flat or slightly downhill stretches where I used to be able to pulse and glide forever at 99.9 mpg. My wife definitely noticed and mentioned it to me before I ever brought anything up about it. I don't know, guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

I did see in a search I did that some suggested checking for a sticking parking brake. I just don't have a floor jack anymore nor a place at the moment to jack it up. But I may have to go somewhere to get the rearend up in the air and spin the rear wheels.

Thanks
    SL