1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ice buildup inside rear window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PsyPrius, Dec 4, 2006.

1. PsyPrius

PsyPrius Member

Hi all-

I have a 2006 Prius at 10K miles, and have noticed since our recent deep freeze in the Midwest that ice has formed for 3 days in a row on the inside of my hatchback window. Has anyone else experienced it, and/or have a diagnosis and course of action to fix?

Thanks!

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Do you ALWAYS have the front defroster on? That will keep the air dehumidified. I expect that the air's moisture condenses on the cold glass after you leave, and then freezes. The only solution is to fight the humidity before you park it. So even after your windshield is clear, leave the defroster running.

Those in cold climates can chime in as to whether recirc or outside air is better as far as minimizing humidity.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Dec 4 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]357777[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not in a cold climate now, but my past experience with them has been that cold outside air is usually the best for defogging.

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PsyPrius @ Dec 4 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]357769[/snapback]</div>
    Just reading this thread makes me cold....

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius is the foggiest car I've ever owned. The defrost works OK, but he corners of the front windshield frequently stay slightly fogged. Don't have the hatch window freeze tho...

Why my MPG has gone from 48 to 34 is a much larger concern.

KenO

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PsyPrius @ Dec 4 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]357769[/snapback]</div>

6. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Haven't experienced the ice buildup problem here yet.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cold outside air is drier than recirculated inside air. The flat angles of the glass make it especially easy for water to adhere and freeze once it condenses, so as the other poster suggested, try to stay ahead of the condensation by using more heat. I find the auto setting does a pretty good job in our cold climate, with me only occasionally having to key the defrost button.

Tom

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    you don't need to keep the defroster on to get the benefits of dehumidifying the air. Even though it's counter intuitive, keep the A/C button on. It doesn't necessarily cool the air, just "conditions" it - in this case, it removes the moisture from the air. Haven't you ever wondered why you'll be driving along, hit the defrost button, and the A/C light on a car comes on? Thats why.

With proper usage, you'll only need to use the defrost feature for a few minutes when you first get in the car, then running it normally with the A/C button on will keep the moisture, and thus the fog, away.

9. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 5 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]357900[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting.

My experience is that if you keep outside air flowing, the inside will not steam up. If you put on recirc, the inside steams up - even with the A/C on.

Having driven an Acura Integra for 12 years before my Prius, and having driven in my wife's Corolla, IMHO, the Toyota A/C level is too low for effective dehumidifying of the air inside the car when recirc is on. My Integra had no problems with fogging when recirc was on. My wife's Corolla behaves similarly to my Prius in this respect.

So far, with my Prius, I need to keep A/C always on and intermittently run defrost in the Prius when ricirc is on. If I let in fresh air, the car is much less prone to fogging than with it off. However, when recirc is on the Prius is much less able to dehumidify the air with A/C on than my Integra was. It is about the only thing that I miss about my Integra. :(

10. jtullos

jtullos New Member

Like the previous posters said, recirc is definitely better. I can't speak for the Midwest yet, but here in the desert, the outside air is always drier than the inside air, especially after people are in the car for a reasonable length of time breathing. My previous experience in the Deep South with other cars has been the same, recirc is better. I'll be experiencing the Midwest winter in our Prius soon enough, we're driving there for Christmas this year.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i had this problem with plain condensation on my Prius as well. i simply got one of those "dries the air" things for an RV. put it in the back, empty the water out every other day or so and that helps a lot. its either that or wipe it down with a towel every once in a while

12. nu2prius

nu2prius nu2prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Dec 5 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]357903[/snapback]</div>
    In humid conditions, such as the Midwest, Recirculation, is the worst setting. The air will almost always freeze inside a car that uses recir., in winter, due to increased humidity. Now the desert, I do not know. I also agree that the defrost setting is pretty weak. I am coming from a Saab 9-5, that absolutely BLASTED the frost/ice from the outside. Best system on any car I have ever owned.

Thank you for all I have learned regarding Prii on this site, I greatly appreciate it.

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Dec 5 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]357903[/snapback]</div>
    Ah... another former Integra owner. That was a great car (1996), I miss that slick 5-speed shifting sometimes... :mellow: :(

I never had any condensation issues with my Integra either, and fresh air is definitely the way to go to clear windows. In fact, I always keep my cars in fresh air mode unless I need extra-fast heating/cooling.

One other point I would like to add, is if you have snow on the ground, do your best to knock your shoes/boots to track as little snow as possible into the car, as this is the biggest source of moisture in the car for areas that are afflicted with the white stuff. ;)

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My first winter with the car, in temps below -20 C and down to -42 C, without the winter front, I did have some icing and fogging problems even with the defrost on Max Heat and the rear defrost on. Barely any heat to speak of.

Now with the winter front, the coldest so far has been -27 C, and not a problem. Plenty of hot air to keep the windshield, side windows, and rear window clear.

If you're having fog/ice on the rear glass and the electric defrost isn't even clearing thin lines around the elements, you clearly have a problem with the rear defrost.