1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE coolant change on a car w/o CHS thermos

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Karolis, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Karolis

Karolis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi all, first time poster here.

I'm due for my 150k km/10 yrs (100k miles) service on a '08 Prius, so I'm gonna change my coolant. Been doing some extensive reading, and, as far as I understand, the inverter part is quite straightforward - just drain and refill/bleed while running the inverter pump by putting the car in IG-on mode.

But wanted to clarify the ICE part - as my car is an EU one, it doesn't have the CHS thermos, so I can't run it's electric pump when bleeding the system.

Am I right in saying that for draining the ICE cooling loop I must use only the radiator/engine block drain plugs and when bleeding air I will need to run the ICE by putting it in inspection mode? (I have a mini VCI)

Frank1956 likes this.
  2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should also use the bleeder valve at the top of the radiator, operated with a 6mm hex key, with a flexible tube run back to the open radiator cap. Do this before running the engine.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It’s a relatively easy job. If you let it drain for long enough you don’t need to open the engine block drain as everything will drain from radiator.
    When filling first open the radiator bleed screw. And then close it when coolant starts to come out of it. Filling is slow.

If you don’t have a funnel that attaches to radiator cap it may help to lift the front while idling in inspection mode without radiator cap. But you still want to do one or two coolant top ups into radiator.

4. Karolis

Karolis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the answers. Yeah, I know the location of the radiator bleeder valve, got a vinyl tube for air bleeding.
    I'll take my time when refilling.
    Today I've changed my oil and realized that I'll need to get a new socket for the transaxle (inverter coolant) plug, because the biggest I have now is 21 mm.
    Just to be sure about size - it's 24 mm, right?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. I happen to have a 15/16" socket which fits, but the correct size is 24 mm.