1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE does not run

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SusieHawkes, May 4, 2022.

1. SusieHawkes

SusieHawkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The internal combustion engine on my 2013 Prius C is trying to start but won't run. I am suspecting there is a problem with the fuel pump or fuel filter since the engine does crank over and seems to fire for a revolution or two but does not keep running. Is there a way to measure the fuel pressure to confirm my suspicion that there is a fuel pump or filter problem? I do not see a port for connecting a fuel pressure gauge.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because the high voltage battery starts the engine, people get the impression the engine started because it sound like it, but in truth it's just a different sound than when a regular car won't start with a 12v battery.

Do you have warning lights? If so we can read the error codes and get a better sense of the problem.

3. SusieHawkes

SusieHawkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unfortunately the error codes have all been erased. I have checked fuel pressure right where the hose comes out of the top of the fuel tank. The pressure was zero after sitting for a day or so and then disconnecting the hose. As soon as I started (tried to start) the car my pressure gauge went right up to about 50 psi. So I think my notion that running the tank really low stirred up crud that clogged pump or filter is wrong. The engine still only cranks for a few revolutions when trying to start, but does not run. What is "normal" for the control program? When the traction battery is low the IC engine should start to charge it. If it does not start immediately will the system ever try again? Crank it a bit longer? Or does it just give up after the first failed try to start and lock up the system?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there any additional untold history for this story? Has the 12 volt battery power been interrupted at some point?

When that is done, some computers in the car lose learned information in memory, and return to original factory settings. That can include values in the engine control module that it learns over time as the engine ages, throttle body gets dirty, and so on. If that has gone on long enough, then the engine may be hard to start using the factory values.

While I've never had occasion to confirm this myself, many other threads here mention it, and a bunch of them say that simply cleaning the throttle body may be the key.