1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ice/moisture buildup inside parked car

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Mindy C., Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mindy C.

Mindy C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello,
    I've been getting significant moisture buildup on the front and rear windows inside the car (no problem with side windows) while it is parked. It's not just fog, it's basically like someone took a hose on the inside and sprayed the windows. My front dash is sometimes wet from droplets that have dripped from the windshield. This is typical in the mornings. But, lately, this has also been happening even if I leave the car parked for just 3-4 hours during the day. If the temp drops cold enough, all of this moisture becomes ice inside. I have no problems with fog, etc. while driving; the moisture is only a problem when the car is parked. I set the inside temp low (at about 63) while in use. I saw the thread about "ice buildup inside rear window" from 2006 and have been trying all suggestions (e.g. using recirc vs. outside air, using A/C, parking my car with side windows cracked to let the moisture out, etc.) Nothing seems to be helping.
    Any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check that you have no water leaking into your car.
    Do not leave wet clothes in the car.
    Use auto AC to dry the air in the car when driving.
    Don't let the moisture drop off the glass on to the floor, dry your windows when they are wet with a towel or other soft cloth, then remove the cloth from the car.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Avoid extensive recirculation, as that holds moisture inside the car. Make sure the A/C compressor is turned on, and leave your climate control on Auto. You might want to try a warmer setting. The warmer setting will dry the inside of the car and take the moisture out with it. At the very least, warm it up a bit more once in a while to get rid of the surplus moisture.

If that doesn't work, you can always move out of Seattle. <edit: there was supposed to be a smiley face here, but it didn't work.>

Tom

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. Mindy C.

Mindy C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks everyone. I've had my car since 2005 and this is the first time (winter) that I'm having these moisture/ice issues inside. In the other threads, it sounds like people are getting uniform "frost" inside. In my situation, the water droplets that hang from the windshield actually form little, bumpy icicle-like formations when it's cold enough, not really "frost." I will continue to play around with the climate settings as many have kindly suggested. Thanks again.

6. PrematurelyGray

PrematurelyGray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You could put some sort of desiccant in the car to absorb the excess moisture. People who store their motorcycles & cars in those big soft plastic bags/cases use silica (?) desiccant to keep the vehicles dry.

Maybe someone here has a desiccant suggestion. I'd appreciate the suggestion as my son spilled a bottle of water in December and until we get consistent 60+ plus weather, I won't be able to adequately dry the car. Anyone?

7. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a material called dri-rite (sp?). We put in in desiccators to protect moisture sensitive chemicals. It changes colors when it has been exposed to too much moisture and I think it can be put in the oven to regenerate it.

Drierite Desiccants

I am not sure how effective this would be in a car. Can't exactly seal up all of the openings with vacuum grease.:)

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another suggestion: have a car shop blow air up the AC condenser drain. After a few years crud can build up and block the drain, keeping water in the heating/cooling system. A shot of air can dislodge the junk, letting it drain. If you've been smelling a funky musty odor, it's a strong sign the drain is blocked.

9. PrematurelyGray

PrematurelyGray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you both for the Drierite and Condenser drain suggestions.

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto the condenser drains! If you have had water in the vent system, watch out for mold. There is a product called frigi-fresh you can spray in to kill the mold.

Icarus

11. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just today I checked the owners manual on how to change the cabin air filter. It notes that moisture buildup in the car is a possible conseqence of a blocked filter.

12. intel1720

intel1720 New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    One
    try Dump-Off, it works fantastic, you can buy it on ebid, and try to read a description in full
    How to Keep the Inside of Your Windshield From Fogging & Icing ?