1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE Ran at high RPM for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cthindi, Oct 1, 2009.

1. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had switched off the car after driving it for 45 Miles. I was gone for less than 5 minutes. I started the car again with water temperature about 178 F.

ICE came on after usual 7 second delay as I started the car. It did not have to come on still as ICE was warm. But anyway that is not the matter. What was Unusual was ICE was running at 3400 RPM even when I was rolling slowly with foot off of pedal. ICE still continued running at this high RPM. Car was rolling the usual way it does and responding well to pedal input. It was not the mat getting stuck under the pedal as is reason for recall. Mat was perfectly fine anchored in. ( I have now taken it off.) SOC at this time also was around 64. So low battery also was not the reason for ICE to run.

Lifting foot off also did not help although the car did slow down. This kept happening for couple minutes until I finally approached some downhill slope and then finally ICE switched off. Car was driving fine all along though. Nothing unusual.

I had similar experience one time before in my driveway. That time switching the car off and restarting resolved the issue. I did not do that this time since I was on the road and car was driving fine.

After this incidence car is driving fine with ICE working normally.

Any reason why this should happen? Anyone else had similar experience? Is it some sort of software bug that occurs only under specific situations?

I am not overly concerned. I bought this car used 5 months back and have driven it for over 12000 Miles. Also the car was driving fine even with ICE revving up. And after this incidence it is now working perfectly Normal with ICE coming on at usual RPM's as required.

Any thoughts?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  3. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Certainly a point to consider. I will definitely have throttle body cleaned. I don't know though if I will know for sure since the problem just happened twice.

Difference in my case is my car did not have any uncommanded acceleration issues. It was driving just fine. Just that ICE was running at high RPM for no apparent reason.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It may have just been a housekeeping event.

This type of emission-system behavior is rare in the Iconic model, but with the Classic you'd encounter it from time to time.

This only happened to me a few times over the years. The high RPM did seem out of place, especially since it didn't have any apparent effect on driving. The engine simply revved way up to burn off collected pollutants.

1 person likes this.
  5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. Once in a while I catch mine running a **little** high at idle (1500RPM or so...enough to notice but not enough to cause concern) but never as high as 3400. At the same time, I would expect that kind of thing to set a code if it wasn't something the system did on purpose.

6. grand total

grand total Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Off topic

This nomenclature is all very well, but what are you going to do when G4 appears?

7. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    John, since I quoted you on another thread.... I'd welcome any additional thoughts you may have on this at that thread--
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ine-racing-following-service.html#post1326155

PA P