1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE running at 99.9 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by psikot, Sep 18, 2007.

1. psikot

psikot New Member

is it gliding when the ICE runs at 99.9 MPG? this usually happens with the cruise control on going down a hill. is it better to press on the gas to increase speed? or to pseudo glide with the ICE.

Thanks

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Sep 18 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]514333[/snapback]</div>
    I guess that depends on how you define "gliding". Around here most people use the word "gliding" to refer to the situation where the ICE is not running, and there is no energy being drawn from or sent to the battery. Therefore, using that definition, the car is not "gliding" when the ICE runs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(psikot @ Sep 18 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]514333[/snapback]</div>
    When you say "better", I assume you are asking which of the 2 options (press accelerator pedal or continue at current speed with cruise control) will give you the better overall mpg. I also assume that there is no power being sent to or drawn from the battery, that you are referring to an open road with no traffic in front of you or behind you, no stops or reduced speed expected for as far down the road as you can be reasonably aware of, at the bottom of the hill the road levels off for as far down the road as you can be reasonably aware of, and you are driving below the legal speed limit.

Given those conditions, I "think" that the best of the 2 options you mention is to continue at current speed with cruise control, although there may be other variables I haven't thought of at the moment.

As the various conditions listed above change, the "best" option may change as well.

3. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It depends on the terrain and traffic, I try to hold this state as long as I can if there are no inclines past the bottom of the hill. If you have a scan gauge this state is much easier to hold than if you just have the mfd as you keep "putting the ball past the hole" in reaction to the mfd with pedal adjustments.

Generally down the back side of a hill you want to warp stealth or get into the high mpg ice-on mode you are referring to. This will result in a slow bleed off of speed at the bottom of the hill, so when you pulse back up the extra mpg you got during the descent can be wasted if you burn it all away getting back up to speed too quickly. It is easy when you re-fire the ice from either warp stealth or high mpg mode for it to get up in the 2000+ rpm range so it takes some practice.