1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE running at stops/in park and low mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jon Watkins, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Jon Watkins

Jon Watkins Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2015 two with 39k miles. We have owned it for a couple of months and 1.5k miles. This evening when we got home after going out for dinner I noticed that the ice was still running after I was stopped in the driveway to park. We had driven for about for 10 miles so the ice was definately warmed up. AC was on at 75 degrees. I put it in park for a minute or so and the ice never turned off as it should have. Earlier on the way to dinner the ice did shut off while at a stop at a red light after it was warmed up. Don’t know if it has done this previously as it’s my wifes daily, but I’m going to have her keep an eye on it.

Fuely says we are averaging 46.7 mpg, which I think is a little low as it’s always in eco and she drives it for maximum mpg.

It has the original 12v and was a one owner in FL until we bought it a couple of months ago. Gets pretty hot in FL and I have no idea if the car was garaged. It did sit on a dealers lot for 75 days before we bought it. I’m wondering if the 12v may be on its last legs even though it is only 42 months old? I’m going to take it to Advance Auto and have them check it with their battery tester.

Any ideas why the ice might not have shut itself off as it should have other than a 12v that’s on its last legs?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what was the level of the hybrid battery icon?

3. Jon Watkins

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was thinking that it might be burning off excess charge. obviously, that was not the case.
    eliminate the 12v as an issue and see what happens.
    i do feel the prius is quirky at times in regards to engine on.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The temperature of the hv battery has a lot to do with it. It's monitored by the car's ECU. My guess is it's hot out and your car has been in the sun awhile

6. Jon Watkins

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not that hot in SC today...low 80’s. It had been in the sun.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any chance you were rolling down some 25-30 mph zones on the way to the house where the car was running only on the HV battery, with the AC at 75? Battery gets down to 2 bars, engine kicks on just before getting into driveway? Engine keeps running trying to get battery SOC back up? I've had times sitting in a parking lot waiting on the wife (AC on) where the engine didn't start until long after it went 2 red bars, and didn't kick off until it went 4 blue.

8. Jon Watkins

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I had been going 25-30 in my development getting to the house which is a couple of miles. Display was at 3 bars when I pulled into the driveway so it should have had plenty of charge on the hv battery. Maybe just a weird situation but I’m going to get the 12v stress tested and have the wife monitor it at stops going forward.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This has nothing to do with the 12v battery