1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE Runs All Time

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, Jul 31, 2012.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello
    I am not sure what is going on .......My 2004 Prius ICE runs all the time now , the fan on my HV runs alot too .......temps are 106 degree plus now. I have no check engine dash light yet.My scangauge race thru a bunch of codes. I have Enginer 4kw v6 installed too.

2. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 05 does this sometimes when it's hot. Don't know why.

3. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Does it still do it if you turn off your Enginer kit (with the dash switch)?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's not due to the engineer system, it might be a safety shutdown of the battery if it gets too hot. you should check the cooling fan for clogging.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think this is a real possibility, given the temps there. There is some reduction of the current through the hybrid system when it is stressed. One can see this using the various software gauges out there, i.e. Priidash. I have noted that peak allowable currents will be reduced when things heat up. This makes the engine fill in more, especially when you have the A/C on.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...do you think maybe traction batt is on its last legs? But consider 12v may be weak too.

7. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking since this vehicle was salvage........plus that I had the inverter rebuilt.........could be same issue and that may be my inverter , inverter pump, and etc just may have gotten cooked in all this high temp 108--110 temps not good. I may just remove inverter and do a teardown......

8. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the optima yellow top has measured at 13.7...............the HV traction may have issues and will measure for 7.2vdc

9. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It is possible that your Enginer converter maximum voltage setting is now too high. This causes the OEM battery to overcharge. When the SoC gets near 80% the ICE will start to remove excess charge of the OEM HV battery. Take note of what SoC readings you are getting on your ScangaugeII when the ICE starts and check whether the SoC is being drawn down by the ICE. This is a built in safety of the Prius design.

Also the Prius battery ECU adjusts the SoC to a higher value in hot weather. This would account why it happens at high temperature. If this is the case you need to ask Jack for advice.

uart and dave77 like this.