1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE Starter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jamesbalch, Oct 25, 2006.

1. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello all,

New poster here. I am/have been an aircraft mechanic for the past 30 years. I have not gotten any manuals for this car yet but plan to.

My question: The ICE naturally stops and starts many times during the course of an average trip. Does the starter engage the ICE each time it starts, or does the transmission /power splitter just grab the engine when it needs it and then provide fuel and igintion to light it off? As if you are rolling a standard transmission auto and "pop" the clutch....

Seems to me if the ICE starter does engage every time, it HAS to wear out sooner than later as compared to a regular starter.

Just curious. Thanks for any replies.

:)

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no "starter", at least not the kind you are talking about.

Go to the following web site, click on "Understanding the Prius", and then read the articles to gain the understanding you seek. I think the "What's Going On As I Drive?" article is the best for a casual understanding of the prius powertrain.

Graham's Toyota Prius pages

3. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Graham,

Thanks very much. Just visited your site.....very informative.

:D

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B. @ Oct 25 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]337888[/snapback]</div>
    Now we know who to call for a major on the ICE or to magnaflux the BT plate! ;)

Tom

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B. @ Oct 25 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]337888[/snapback]</div>
    Yup... except it always has hold of the engine. It's just a matter of when the engine is allowed to spin. The smaller of the two motors essentially either holds it in place or gives it a nudge to invoke movement.

The fact that the PSD (Power-Split-Device) is always engaged is what makes the process so simple... and smooth.

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-psd_details.htm
    http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-psd_animations.htm

Those links provide illustrated examples of the clever stuff the PSD does.

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim B. @ Oct 25 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]337894[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not Graham. I'm not sure he even visits this site.