1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ice storm power outages

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jan 14, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    FILL UP CAR(S) AND CANS

With a full tank and spare cans, you can retreat to the Prius and stay warm. Any spare cans should be stored safely.​

12V TO 120VAC INVERTERS

They come in two flavors, sine-wave (slightly more expensive) and modified sine-wave (can have problems with some loads.) The best time to integrate and test the inverter is on a nice day. But if you're looking at the storm clouds, minimize risk and go with a sine wave generator.

The Prius can provide a steady-state, 1kW power. The 12V battery can provide an extra 0.5kW for 20-30 seconds. I recommend using anything between a 1.0-1.5kW inverter WITH right-sized cables connected to the 12V battery terminals. ​

CONTRACTOR CABLE TO HOUSE

Use the heaviest duty, shortest cable that will reach from the car to the house with a 3-socket outlet. I like the ones that glow when power is available. The modified sine-wave inverters lose voltage fairly rapidly over any extension cord. The sine-wave inverters will have less voltage drop.

In the house, you can use 12A extension cords to reach: (1) communications/TV room; (2) bathroom; (3) fridge (optional), and/or; (4) gas or fire-place heating fans. There is not enough power for significant heat except perhaps an electric blanket.

TVs and electronics have a brief, 0.1-0.3 second, in rush load when they are plugged in. So if the inverter should load shutdown, unplug everything, get the inverter reset, and add loads one at a time. Start with the worst, TVs and electronics.​

TEST AND TEST

Test the temperature of every 12V wire and connector. I like to use contact-less temperature measurements but fingers can work. A connector can 'come lose' and rob power. Do not be surprised if you need to carefully tighten the bolts ... NOT Superman Strength ... just tighten snuggies.​

STANDALONE GENERATORS

Every year, families die because the engine exhaust is toxic with carbon monoxide. They also have small tanks that require frequent refueling and are noisy. In contrast, the Prius catalytic converter treated exhaust is orders of magnitude safer and quieter.​

Bob Wilson

RCO and dalcon95 like this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This may be the only thing that some people read before setting up. If so, know that you must avoid the temptation to use installed wiring to spread power around. There is a real risk of sending power to external locations where people are working to repair damage.

More information is required to be certain your temporary 'grid' is isolated.

RCO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a transfer switch. they're not cheap. i heard the ice storm petered out, thankful for small blessings.(y)

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Treat this non-storm as a wake-up call. Sleep again at your own peril.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like we dodged a bullet. 40's here the next 10 days. in a few years, we may be more concerned with sun burns.

RCO likes this.