1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE throttle plate cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bwilson4web, Oct 27, 2007.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Gunk can accumulate in the throttle plate area that in cold, damp weather, can cause the engine to fail to start in the first attempt. Often the second attempt will work but it will leave codes and a warning triangle. This intermittent problem can easily be avoided by cleaning the throttle in the fall:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_throttle.html

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Make sure the cleaner does not get on the MAF sensor in the middle.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 27 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]531269[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I'll make that more explicit.

Are there any reports of MAF failure after direct exposure to the cleaner?

Bob Wilson

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's possible, though DH has never seen this happen.

i mean, if you shoot it straight at the wire, you could conceivably do some damage.

just recall that everything you shoot in there, the engine has to burn... use the minimum amount necessary.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The MAF wires are pretty well buried at the base of that little
    plastic bit that protrudes into the throat. The plastic seems to
    duct a portion of air over toward the base at the side where the
    wires are and then back into the stream. Even a q-tip is too big to
    go in there. Still, loading the wires down with random solvents
    can't be good.
    If the straightforward throttle cleaning as detailed doesn't work,
    it may also help to get a little lube onto the butterfly pivots
    afterward. When I did mine, I disconnected enough stuff to unbolt
    and raise the throttle body and turn it over, which I could do
    *without* disconnecting the coolant hoses, and then wiped out from
    underneath. I also had the motor housing off to expose the little
    gear-train and make sure it had enough well-distributed grease.
    The pivots are then about half an inch into the hole, very easy to
    get at. I think I used a touch of regular ol' 90-weight on them.
    Keeping the oil level under control seems to have kept things fairly
    pristine in there all round...
    _H*

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more reason to use 3 US quarts of oil at each change :_>

Why was the air filter orientation reversed starting in 2004?

7. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Oct 27 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]531344[/snapback]</div>
    Of course. Any residue will alter the sensor's readings. Side note: those who actually want to clean a MAF sensor on purpose can buy special low-residue (they claim no-residue) MAF spray cleaner, but if there's a problem, I prefer to start with a new sensor.

8. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Given your Florida location, it sounds like an ideal location for the experiment. But in North Alabama I found coolant temperatures below 40C often resulted in an engine stall. Massachusetts based Hobbit has done some experiments with feeding hot-air from the exhaust shroud. Also, Ken@Japan has reported about efforts to preserve heat and year-round use of engine block heaters.

Consider that unlike the gas-only cars, our hybrids use MG1 for counter torque, not just the vehicle mass on the wheel side of a hydro-mechanical transmission or a manual transmission. What this means is ultimately the power output is managed by a dance between the control computers that operate the engine and MG1. The ICE is capable of more power but torque limits by MG1 would prevent that power from flowing to the transaxle gears.

Experiments are the ultimate test and I would recommend planning how you might approach the test and the expected results. If you are able to improve the engine specific fuel consumption, the ratio of fuel burned to power, it would be a significant finding.

Bob Wilson

10. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it be necessary to clean the throttle body on my 2007 Prius? I live close to downtown LA, so I think the coolest it gets here is maybe 40 in the early mornings, but usually around 50. I purchased the car last December, so maybe it's too early to clean it? Except for the complimentary oil changes my dealer gives me, I prefer to do all the other maintenance work myself.

Paul

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Paul,
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pkhoury @ Nov 5 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]535291[/snapback]</div>
    My 2003 Prius first had the problem in the winter of 2006-2007. I suspect you're probably good to go for a couple more years but I would never say, "don't clean." Rather, it is unlikely to be needed.

Bob Wilson

12. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to advanced auto parts in search of something similar to clean the throttle body found on this site Cleaning Prius Throttle.

I couldn't find any little pipe cleaner things, and the people at the store looked at me like I was crazy. They said you just spray the cleaner down there.

Anyways, could someone help me find where I could get the tool necessary to clean the throttle body, either by a part number of advanced auto/auto zone or a better name. Amazon/ebay also works.

Thanks!

Herb Partsch

13. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Outside of a tobacconist's shop it can be hard to find "pipe cleaners"...

Except at a craft store; Michael's, whatever.

They are a necessity for those who provide "authentic hands-on
    creative experiences" for the pre-school set...
    no fasteners, no glue, no mess, no tools, too big to swallow.

Wonderful. :cheer2:

14. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    haha but seriously where can i get the tool?

15. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As he wrote: at a tobacconist's or a craft store. Really big cities might have a scientific supply shop selling them as test tube brushes.

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Amazon.com has many pipe cleaners:
    Amazon.com: pipe cleaners

What happens to the engine that gets all the gunk and cleaner washing down into it? :confused: Would the valves get stuck with gunk after the throttle cleaning?

17. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It burns up. E10 cleans the valves.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. First, try spraying the throttle body cleaner onto the throttle body interior and throttle plate (without contaminating the mass air flow sensor.) See if the force of the spray is sufficient to clean off the dirt. If yes, then you are done.

2. If no, then I would use a used (but clean) toothbrush to scrub off the throttle body interior and throttle plate. Note that you can rotate the throttle plate by hand, turning the spring-loaded shaft when the car is IG-OFF.

3. My personal practice is to remove the air cleaner filter housing first, as that gets the MAF sensor out of the way and make access to the throttle body and throttle plate much easier. Like 2009Prius, I also don't like the idea of the engine having to burn up all of the throttle body cleaner and dirt. So I use rubbing alcohol on Q-tips to scrub the throttle body interior and throttle plate. I will also snake a paper towel down into the intake manifold to absorb any liquid that might be down there. Hence, no liquid enters the intake manifold that has to be combusted.

2 people like this.
  19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe the Prius does have an issue with deposits on the TB, at least my '04 did

However, my '07 FJ also has issues with deposits on the backside of the TB. Having talked to other FJ owners, and visited with a couple while down at the CTIA convention in Vegas back in March I've started to piece the puzzle together

1. Operation in a cold climate dramatically increases the buildup of deposits on the TB. Perhaps has to do with how Toyota uses the VVT to "simulate" an EGR valve, perhaps has to do with much more oily vapour going through the PCV

2. At least in the case of the FJ, it's easy to remove the TB from the intake. There is just enough slack in the coolant hoses to allow one to liberally douse the backside of the TB with TB cleaner, and get that gunk of the blade and bore

3. The Prius is much less affected by TB and MAF deposits, until they become really bad. The FJ appears sensitive to TB and especially MAF deposits. First thing you notice is the fuel economy plummets. Then the auto trans begins to shift weird. That's a sign to at least clean the MAF

It was a bit of a pain in the rump to clean the Prius TB, the MAF was ok. At least the FJ is easy enough to clean, I now routinely clean the MAF every 3 months - takes all of 2 minutes - and the TB every Spring

It's really important to only use the proper MAF cleaner on the MAF: it's easy to damage the two hot wires inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's also important not to flood the intake with TB cleaner. You will have a very hard and rough start

20. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cleaned it today, thought it went well but then....

EDit: okay slight problem, it seems as though now when the engine is running it is running slightly rough. It is reeving up then down, and repeating this cycle. When it is doing this revving cycle the throttle plate is moving some back and forth, or it appears to be moving. (the part I turned to get the plate to swing back and forth.)

Any ideas? I'm a hour and a half away from home, going home tomorrow and hoping everything is okay.