1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Idea for colored transparency film to turn 2015 Prius cluster in 2016 colored cluster

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Toyonka, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I hope this turns out to be worth asking, in case there are any designers or makers lurking among us.

[​IMG]

As you'll know the 2016 Prius has a nice looking colored instrument cluster.

[​IMG]

My idea is a sheet of transparency film or acrylic, that has different colored sections spread across it. Some gradient sections. Some red. Some green. Some blue.

[​IMG]

End result being, when you drop it over the 2015 Prius cluster, it breathes new life into it and colors everything up to dazzle!

[​IMG]

I imagine some gradients over the battery, and other fun niceties.

[​IMG]

And for LHD vs RHD, just turn the sheet around ;)

2. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not sure I know of any options with gradients. I have changed my vw cluster from OEM to red using Rubylith. there are several flavors available of 'lith. I choose lith over cellophane because of the richness of color and thickness of the material.

Toyonka likes this.
  3. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting. Where do you buy yours from? Will it just sit there without air bubbles?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a short, somewhat off topic comment, but with all the criticism of the Gen 4 release, I would say that I like the movement towards more color in the instrument cluster.

Even with the initial release of the Gen 3, I've thought the display looked dated and far too colorless.
    This is an area I think Toyota could improve significantly...even now. Better....but I think it could be even better.

Don't know how much success might be possible in trying to make a Gen 3 display more colorful. Good Luck.

If you come up with anything, that is worth taking a picture of? Please share.

Dylan Doxey and Toyonka like this.
  5. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, the thickness of a Lith will allow it to sit ontop of a display with no distortion at all, even with air behind it. on my VW cluster I just slide it in place and didnt have to attach it. Something to keep in mind with doing something like this is the combination of colors, white lights with rubylith come out very red, where as a blue light with rubylith will be a purple.
    Lith is superior to cellophene or acetate because it is optically clear, using acetate or others, will give a slight blur or fuzzyness.

I purchased a roll from Amazon, available in many flavors, roll, sheet, tapes, ect. should be readily available in any local art supply/photo supply as well. Thinking a tape may be able to make a gradient maybe.

if I can tonight I will take some pics of my VW cluster and try some scrap rubylith over my Prius gauges to give you an idea.

Toyonka likes this.
  6. DavidSpivey

DavidSpivey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the problems I see with this is the gas gauge and that area. It does not come from "behind" the glass, like the touch tracking buttons do. It actually is a reflection. In order to change the color, you would need to coat the area underneath the glass to change the color of this gauge.

Another problem is the lack of pure white light. Even the best try you could make is going to be greenish somehow because it is a green light. Red + green usually ends up yellow.

All right, so I tried this tonight, just to see what would happen. I had some cellophane in red and blue left over from present wrapping.

Cellophane.jpg

I tried red, 2 layers of cellophane first. It came out a little fuzzy, but the basic idea did work. I did get a lower brightness, but it's red. I don't care for the color.
    red two ply.jpg

Then I tried 2 layers of blue, and one layer of blue, respectively.

blue two ply.jpg

blue one ply.jpg

#6 DavidSpivey, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  7. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nice work David. I'd probably do the left hand blue, right hand red, to mix things up a bit.

E Risch, can't wait to see your version too.

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

8. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If some company manufactured a high quality replacement cluster that plugs and plays, I'd spend up to $300 for it.

Toyonka likes this.
  9. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looking forward to it

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

10. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here is my MFD & Tach with the Rubylith in place & a stock pic of the cluster. Havent had much time to monkey with the Prius as it is being wraped.
    You can see I trimmed a little too much in the Gas Gauge area. I basicly had to make and Omega shape so as to not change the colors of the warning lights in the center of the gauge

Attached Files:

11. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting!

If anyone can try this on a 2012> Prius I'd love to see it.

@E Risch can you send an Amazon link to the correct materials to buy so I make sure it's the right thing. Maybe I'll be the first to try it with the Rubylith.

12. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to look on my tube tonight for the vendor & spec (I believe it is 3mil), I swear I got it off Amazon, but not in my archive.

Toyonka likes this.
  13. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think it's time to check in and see if you had any luck?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

14. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Doesn't seem to be on Amazon any more.

To get small sheets and not large rolls, you need to go to astronomy or photography sites.

Amberlith may also work for this, but I can't find it in small sheets:

OPT Rubylith Red Masking Film - 15" X 20" Sheet | OPT Telescopes

ScopeStuff

McLogan Supply Company : Ulano Rubylith (UV Blockout film) [URM3] - $146.82

I remember working with this stuff 25 or 30 years ago. I feel very old now.

15. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did some work like this using RoscoLux photography Gels.
    Blue led dash conversion | Page 7 | PriusChat

I purchased them on Amazon: www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=roscolux+gel

Burna J and Toyonka like this.