1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Idea that may sound insane for a plug in hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jrjrdinh, Sep 14, 2009.

1. jrjrdinh

jrjrdinh New Member

Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

What you see above is a wireless charger for mobile devices where it can be charger wirelessly from the mat and charge the devices without having to connect any cords into the device. Sounds great right? :rolleyes:

What if the Plug in Hybrid could do the same? What if the Hybrid had some special coating on the paint. Whenever you drive into your garage onto this special mat, the Hybrid starts to charge wirelessly into the battery. All you have to do is leave it there overnight not connecting any cords and bam full charge the next morning. :eek:

I have a feeling this may become true in many years to come. :D

Just my imagination.

2. GoGreenTreeHugger

GoGreenTreeHugger New Member

Model:
    IV
    What if all cars where thy way and that was built into the roads?

3. jrjrdinh

jrjrdinh New Member

Model:
    II
    Man that would be awesome! That will probably happen centuries from now huh? Man so many great ideas.

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm guessing that these are induction chargers. I had a razor that charged like this and it was about 50% efficient. i.e. half the energy being consumed was lost. Not a real big deal when you are consuming 2-3 watts...and maybe a total of a few watt-hrs per day. A really big deal when you are consuming ~1000 watts and 5 or 10 kw-hrs per night.

I wouldn't find it too difficult to have to actually plug my car in each night.

Considering making roads like this...it should probably be obvious this isn't going to happen. Look at how electric buses and light rail work -- they have overhead wires because a direct connection is most efficient.

3PriusMike

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The energy losses as pointed out by 3Prius(prii)Mike are the big rate limiter here I think. The car would be on rubber tires and well elevated above the charge pad. I think the energy loss might make the cost factor a wash alone and defeat the purpose of EVs.

But the concept is a good one, including electrifying the roadways. Certainly a time may come where we all just pull into our garage and charge up and never give it a second thought.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there's already patents being established for solar roadways. there was a post on here last week. they are connected, can store electricity, heat if needed for cold areas, anti skid glass like top (not sure what material they are using) .. they can wash themselves and so forth.. crazy concept till you add in a bunch of cars that can charge wireless from it.

7. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alas, induction chargers are rather inefficient (the more so the bigger the air gap is between the charger and the charged device, and growing rather fast with increasing distance - with the cube of it if I am not mistaken) and cannot transfer great amounts of energy trough the air, or they would make you toast. If you really had such a charging device in your garage which would have sufficient power to charge your car overnight, you would be turned into a well-done steak as soon as you open the door.

BTW, you already have such a device in your Prius, although a rather small one... Your key fob. It works on very similar principle as those cordless chargers.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The convience of induction runs smack dab into the inefficiency problem. A better approach might be an automatic plug-in, something that uses relatively safe voltages, 50 V. Perhaps a split bus-bar under the front fender might be a better solution with a smart curb. Automating the plug makes a lot of sense especially for non-technical owners.

FYI, here is the key fob opened up:
    [​IMG]

The large block might be an inductive pickup / antenna used when the battery has failed. Before taking this one apart, I'd rather disassemble a non-operational fob.

Bob Wilson

9. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, looks likely. I think I read somewhere in my user's guide that the battery is not required for SKS operation, it is only used for remote locking/unlocking. That makes sense (SKS would work like RFID), so it would be powered inductively.

10. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man.. I feel like we are on the cusp of some really great energy efficiency technologies here.

Imagine if solar panels were a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot more efficient. Have a nice solar panel array on your roof, your car than can do 50-100 miles on a single charge without using any gas is plugged in, powered by the sun (and your solar roof on the car helped trickle charge it too), etc.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Am I the only one old enough to remember slot cars?

12. Garmy

Garmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone have a Roomba? I often thought the best way to charge a plug in style car would be similar to the way Roombas charge. They drive over a platform that has contacts and then the Roomba charges directly. You could have the platform anchored to a garage floor and then just drive up and have 2 ball contacts on the bottom of the car lock into the charger.

13. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sadly, no.

:p

14. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think I still have a few. AS a kid I used to build them. I think the hot motor at the time was the HGM-12.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion it doesn't matter that the specifics of the concept aren't efficient or don't really work TODAY. It's the idea itself that is important.

Ease and convience of recharging as well as widespread access will become a factor in the evolution of alternative automobiles as they go from "alternative" to mainstream.

So it's the ideas that are important. Obviously, I think the first evolution is going to be what we are charging-Lithium Ion vs. Nickel Hydride, as opposed to how we are charging. But evolution on all fronts will advance.

No idea is really insane, the realities of how it might work, or where it needs improvement might need to be overcome and adressed but I'm sure about 20 years ago the idea of a mass produced automobile with low emissions that ran on both a gasoline engine and electric motors was viewed as "crazy".

Aside from Prius Chat and The Prius itself, it's entertaining to watch as The Leaf, The Volt and eventually the Plug in Prius advance. It's really a place where you can watch change come out of the gate.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While all ideas are worth some consideration, those that involve a complete rewrite of physics should be considered a long shot at best. It's important to keep an open mind and even dream a bit, but it's equally important to avoid banking on a long shot.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  17. Genericon

Genericon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would imagine that an induction charger of that size would generate one heck of a magnetic field around it. An entire parking lot full of them could generate quite a large amount of interference. I wonder if the FCC would need to get involved. Quite honestly, until further testing can be done on the effects of large magnetic radiation on the human body, I would stay away from them, but the effects are debatable.

cellphonesnotsafe.com/studies

18. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do the same crazies who think cell phones hurt you also think that magnets can heal all your problems?

There's a sucker born every minute.

19. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is also a good idea to not put any money on loser ideas. Solar powered cars is one of them. Peak solar output is about 1 kw per square meter. No matter how efficient and cheap you make a solar panel you will never get this much energy unless the solar panel is directly facing the sun. And, of course, tilting the panels while driving increases drag. Typical solar cells are 15-20% efficiency, while ones on satellites are around 40%.

A Prius-sized car requires at least 200 w-hrs to go one mile. So, traveling at a modest 30 mph requires 6 kw of power. So, at 100% efficiency you'd need 6 sq meters directly facing the sun. 12 m^2 with the amazing breakthrough of 50% efficiency. (Of course a car this large would require more than 200 w-hrs per mile). You can fiddle with the math all day long and the only thing that makes sense is to permanently mount solar cells where they are fully utilized rather than put them on things that drive around only partially in the sun and at the wrong angle most of the time.

Sure, if solar cells were free, you could paint them on a car and get a 3 or 4 % increase in electrical efficiency. And if you sat in the sun at noon for an hour and charged your battery you could drive for a mile or two.

If you've seen some of the college design contests with solar powered cars you may have noticed that they are not even close to street legal, use bicycle wheels, are only a couple of feet off the ground, only go ~10-15 mph, etc.

It is not being pessimistic to say that a mass-produced solar-powered car will never happen. It is being realistic (at least for this planet and this sun). However, we can say that the entire vehicle fleet on Mars is solar powered.

3PriusMike

20. jrjrdinh

jrjrdinh New Member

Model:
    II
    Lots of risk going on about this wireless charging technology. Yes I agree with you all it is quite dangerous having all these invisible radiation around you while parking the plug in hybrid.

But I'm sure that the "special mat" will have some sensor on when to turn on.

When parking on to the special mat, the car charger will detect that the plug in hybrid has arrived.

Once you step out of the plug in hybrid and go inside the house. The special mat will detect that no human being is around and start to charge the plug in hybrid, of course as soon as the plug in hybrid is to a full charge it will stop charging to avoid overcharge.

Next morning when the human being approaches the plug in hybrid, bam, no radiation is around and of course a full charge ready to go.

Imagine that heh :)