1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Idea to fool the tire pressure sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CivicQc, Mar 4, 2010.

1. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just read something interesting on a RAV4 chat site: how to fool the tire pressure sensors:
    Source: RAV4World - :: View topic - Idea to fool the SAP tire pressure sensors.

What do you think? Is anyone aware of the existence of such a device?

On the other hand perhaps that idea does not make sense. Those sensors most likely require power, which they take from the rotation of the wheels, and inserting the sensors in a fixed manifold would deprive them from their power source...

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone on here already came up with a solution using pvc tubes (DIY) and all. The real solution would be to use TechStream to remove the entries altogether I would think.

1 person likes this.
  3. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just live with the TPMS warning light!

kkj2go, Mendel Leisk and CivicQc like this.
  4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We talked about this a few months ago. I am going to build one when I need new tires. Here are a few other pics.

2 people like this.
  5. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know if those sensors are battery-operated? According to wikipedia, there are battery operated , and battery-less ones.

Here is a silly question: The sensors must be "initialized" (see owner's manual, page 443). If the sensors were removed from the wheels, and put in the car, at normal atmospheric pressure (e.g. not in a special pressurized canister), couldn't the sensors be "intialized" at that basic pressure? That way, the system would never detect any pressure change (unless the atmospheric pressure drops by 25%, which is very unlikely...). What I am saying probably makes no sense (as I dont know how those sensors work), but I thought I would throw the idea out, just in case...

kc5dlo likes this.
  6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The sensors must be paired to the car. This is done at the factory or it can be done by the dealer.

If the sensors get below a certain point the light on the dash comes on. When you fill the tire back up it takes about 15 minutes for the car to figure it out. You can press the button under the steering wheel to reset the light on the dash faster.

There are two types of pressure sensors, absolute and relative. An absolute sensor measures pressure relative to an internal reference. A relative sensor measures the difference from one side of the sensor to the other. Example pressure from inside the tire compared to outside the tire.

The TPMS sensors use absolute sensors. That is why they still work in a pressure chamber like the ones in the picture above.

kkj2go likes this.
  7. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why would you want to fool the TPMS system?

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think a lot of people who use winter tires mounted on wheels would like to be able to change without the TPMS light coming on. The only solution now is to take the car to the dealer twice a year and pay them $50 to $100 to plug their Techstream in and change sensor numbers, or put a piece of black tape over the light.

Toyota could have solved the problem by providing owners with a way to change the sensor numbers, or by making room in the software so it would use 4 out of 8 sensors vice just 4 as it is now.

Rick68 and CivicQc like this.
  9. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Like Tumbelweed mentioned. I have snow tires and rims for my Prius. To add the TPMS sensors it would cost me $360 for the new sensors. Then twice a year it would cost $75 to have them reprogrammed. Over the 10 years I plan on owning the vehicle it would cost me $2,160.00

The sensors can take up to 15 minutes to report back that your tire is low or the sensors are not in the car. My old tires are in the garage. Most the time the warning light is off when I leave the house. It takes about 15 minutes before it starts blinking. If I make a lot of short trips it never comes on.

I am 43 years old and have been driving for 27 years. I have done just fine realizing when one of my tires is getting low.

kc5dlo and Daves09prius like this.
  10. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just put a small piece of electrical tape over the TPMS icon when you have the winter tires on. Remove it when change back.
    It cost money to remove the TPMS from the summer wheel and remount the tires. Why bother.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To answer a previous question, the setpoint for the sensors is set by pressing the button under the steering wheel. In theory you should be able to remove the sensors, place them in the glove box at atmospheric pressure, and press the button to recalibrate them to atmospheric pressure.

Having not tried this, I don't know if there is a lower limit to the sensors. Perhaps the system will not let you reset all the way down to atmospheric pressure.

Tom

kc5dlo likes this.
  12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Could someone test this by letting all the air out of a tire, resetting the sensors and seeing if the alarm goes away? or do you actually have to drive the car before the reset takes effect?

kc5dlo likes this.
  13. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't test this but wish I could. I am trying to figure out if I buy the TPMS programming tool from Ateq, if I remove all of the codes will the light go out?

I asked Ateq but haven't heard back;

ATEQ Corp.
    35980 Industrial Rd. Livonia, MI 48150
    Direct: 1-734-838-3112
    Fax: 1-734-838-0644
    Cell: 1-734-612-0355

www.tpms-tool.com

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, you can test it that way. You don't need to drive.

Tom

kc5dlo likes this.
  15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I reconfigured my TPMS ECU for a 5th sensor, the TPMS light came on. It didn't go out until I also had the sensor actually installed inside the spare tire with pressure. So I don't think resetting the TPMS ECU, even with all sensors at zero PSI, is going to disable it.

I really think someone should just unplug a TPMS ECU and see what happens. It might work. On the other hand, it might get some other ECU really unhappy about the TPMS ECU going missing. And you may need a Techstream to get it all back working... As I said, someone else should try it... I've used up more than my quota of lucky stars...

More info on spare tire TPMS is in http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...roubleshooting/26135-tpms-summary-thread.html and in http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-technical-discussion/73944-obdii-codes.html

16. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting! If driving is required for testing, here is another possibility, for those who will change their tires soon as spring is coming:
    - assuming you currently have your winter tires on, without sensors
    - simply put all 4 summer tires (those equipped with sensors) in the trunk, deflate them all, reset the sensors, and go for a ride.

17. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been driving around with the light on, doesn't beep or anything. What is the big deal? Stick a piece of black tape on the yellow light?

18. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The light sort of escapes around the black tape and you can see the light from certain angles (when you enter the car). It would be nice to be able to just turn it off!

Montgomery likes this.
  19. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Blame it on the morons who can't feel or check a flat tire

Porkenstein likes this.
  20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have to check your tires? I thought if you filled them with nitrogen they could never go flat.

;)

:rolleyes:

:doh:

Tom