1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideal Yr/Mileage for a used Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Happs, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Happs

Happs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What do you all think is the "sweet spot" for buying a used Prius in terms of age and mileage? I've usually purchased through private parties 10 year old American cars that have been primarily owned by senior citizens and snowbirds and have ultra low mileage on them and are in excellent condition. I get a well maintained car with a long life ahead of it and don't have to worry about depreciation. Obviously, since the Prius hasn't been out for ten years, this doesn't apply. Since the batteries are warrantied to 100,000 miles, my gut feeling tells me to look for a used one with the least mileage possible vs one that has a lot of freeway miles. Is this correct?

In browsing the classifieds, I'm amazed at how little depreciation the Prius has. It seems like a used model costs as much as a new one before tax. Do you all expect this high resale/little depreciation trend to continue? If the car only depreciates $1000yr, that alone defeats the critics who say you're better off buying a Corolla or VW TDI. Would you pay over blue book value for a used Prius and if so, what percent over? Thanks in advance for your Prius Econ 101 insights.

2. arcocelli

arcocelli New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello!

I just bought a 2005 with 36000 miles on it. I paid 17000 in cash plus they gave me 1000 trade in for my 9 year prizm with 170000 miles on it. That puts my price a little over market value, according to edmunds.com. KellyBlueBook value for this car in my area of the country is 21000. They were asking 19500 for it. Go in with all the info you can about what you should be paying for it (edmunds is good for that) and don't be afraid to haggle. I actually left the dealership when I couldn't get the price I wanted and they called me on my cell before I got 10 minutes away. So, I definitely would not pay more than blue book. Dealers generally give people less than market value for a car so they can easily sell it for market value and make money. I hope that helps!

3. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my 25+ years of buying and selling of many used cars, condition is everything. Yes mileage plays a factor but the condition and how it has been treated are very important. With the Toyota's and Honda's having 200K is not uncommon and they still run strong.

After looking around for many months on and off line, two weeks ago I bought a 05 with 69K and you would not know it by looking at it.

You will find that the Prius has held its resale very good. So good that it is amazing how many wrecks are out there for sale and cars with rebuilt titles. And they are going for high prices.

One way I look at mileage is. I would rather have 05 with 68k (that may seem a little high to some) than a 04 or even 01 (which may be looked at as being low) with 68K. Atleast it is newer and has seen less hot summers and cold winters.