1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideas for coolant change to eliminate possibility of air pockets.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dale Earnhadrt, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Dale Earnhadrt

Dale Earnhadrt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't know if this would work or not. I was thinking about buying a two gallon garden sprayer. I've used a one-gallon for trans-fluid and it worked great. Had just enough room under the vehicle to actuate the pumper plunger.

For my 2010, I was thinking of getting another radiator cap and modifying it so I could connect the sprayer hose to it. Then I could pressurize the system, open the drain and simutaneously pump in new coolant while the old gets pushed out by the new. Since no air would be introduced into the system, it might work. That way, I would not have to bleed the system.

I had my truck coolant changed once and they hooked a pump machine to it and basically did it the same way, although a little faster and more high-tech...but still the same concept.

My 2007 might be a little trickier, since it has a metal radiator cap. But I might be able to do the same thing using the overflow tank and pump it in that way. Might have to block the overflow tube if there is one.

Whach y'all think?

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suspect you'd have new coolant running out the drain while a lot of old coolant is still in the system.

Could the "high-tech" method used on your truck have involved a vacuum pump? As I understand, that's essentially how cooling systems are filled on the assembly line, where they have to add all the coolant fast, with no time to chase trapped bubbles of air.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some info here:

About to tackle the inverter and radiator coolant | PriusChat

I've changed coolant on Hondas for decades. But I'm hearing it's more involved with Prius? For starters due to two circuits? Plus headaches purging air?

With Honda, it was basically drain (rad and engine block), fill with vent bolt open 'till it overflows, close vent bolt and continue filling, 'till it's up to the rad neck.

Then run the car with rad cap off, with a baster and container at the ready. When level climbs in the neck baste it off, when it drops, add it back. Maybe squeeze the accessible hoses a bit as it's going.

Carry on 'till the cooling fan's come on twice, then shut down, rad cap on, drain, clean and refill the overflow bottle.

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  4. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active
    I've seen some clever ideas for making a low-cost vacuum pump on Youtube! Might make an interesting and useful little project?

vacuum pump - YouTube

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The straight repair-manual method for the engine coolant on my Gen 3 was so easy and worked so well that I put aside all earlier thoughts of trying to outsmart it. Pour into the reservoir with the bleed valve open, until the reservoir is full to the B mark and some coolant comes out the valve, close the valve, start and warm up the engine, shut down, observe that the level has dropped from right at B exactly down to right at MAX, think to self "all right, the engineers got that process pretty well dialed in", call it a day.

-Chap

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota eliminated the bleed bolt in 2012, assuming you're talking about the one atop EGR stuff. I think you could still just pull one hose off there, pour in fresh fluid, and reconnect the hose once coolant reaches it.

Fwiw @NutzAboutBolts has a video on coolant change, it's a 2012, Without engine coolant bleed bolt, but it didn't seem to matter.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Bay Stater and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought one of these, it works great.

Not only does it eliminate trapped air it leak checks the system and fills in a couple of minutes.

Bay Stater likes this.
  8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This.

The turd gen engine loop is as quick and easy as any I've ever changed, and really can't imagine a mechanical aid making it any easier. Even the open bleed valve is optional as the valve was done away with in later turd gen years, maybe as early as the 2011 model but don't quote that... Gen 2, on the other hand, is tedious and time consuming. Any of the coolant change aids would likely make that deal a little less frustrating/time consuming.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How hard is it to change coolant on Gen 3 Inverter? The Gen 2 has to be bled also.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It looks pretty easy in nutzaboutbolts videos. I'll avoid the "@" symbol, I think he's tiring from putting likes on all my posts. :)

NutzAboutBolts and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lol it never gets old, keep it up :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Changing the inverter coolant is way easier than changing the engine coolant since you don’t need to run the engine to bleed the air out. You just gotta cycle the inverter a couple of times to bleed the air out of the system and you’re done.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We are seeing four generations of Prii here now and some procedures have changed. I have experience with Gen 2 and now own a Gen 4 and most haven't touched it yet. I hope Toyota just keeps it simple.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if anyone will put together a 4th Gen Repair Manual, or is it even possible any more?

15. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too bad I don’t get a free Prius for every year, or else I would upload all the videos of them lol

RMB, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.