1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideas to increase radio reception?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MarinJohn, Feb 26, 2005.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I live away from the nearest city with lots of hills around. I know better than to expect perfect reception, but have had BETTER reception with other vehicles. FYI I have a 'premium' JBL sound system. Would a longer antenna help? Is there such a thing as a battery powered antenna? Suggestions?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's odd, my Canadian Prius also has the Premium JBL sound system, and it appears to have very good reception FM. I never listen to AM so can't comment on that.

Have you unscrewed the antenna to check for corrosion? I like to put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on the threads before screwing it back in.

If it has never been off, you may need pliers to unscrew the antenna. Make sure to wrap the antenna base with a rag to minimize scratching it.

3. ammiels

ammiels New Member

There are antenna amplifiers that you plug into the antenna line and a 12v source. I have used them in the past with mixed results. Google shows:
    <http://www.shopzilla.com/7S--Car_Accessories_-_cat_id--11950000__keyword--car%20antenna%20amplifier__lp--10__mkt_id--20561806__rf--gsz__sfsk--3>

4. konakahuna

konakahuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there are so many factors that go into good reception, it's hard to know the culpret without having some specs on the head unit itself. is the problem signal strength? the antenna is amplified but perhaps not enough. is it capture ratio...the ability to pull & lock in a station? is it rejection...the ability to tune out interference. so many possibilities.

i've had saabs & VW's recently...and both provided basic stereo specs in the owners manual. this is the first car that doesn't offer anything tangible. no wiring diagrams, no specs. it's frustrating.

i have the basic stereo model without "diversity tuning" and the reception is mediocre at best.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Thanks for your replies. I am referring to static, not ability to pull in a station at all. I will heed suggestions above and hope for the best!

6. Jeri

Jeri New Member

This must be one of the deficiencies in a Prius. We noticed the same thing driving the Prius home from the dealership. Stations we receive routinely driving the Subaru were mere static. My husband is going to check out the antennae to see if he can replace it with a longer one.