1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ideas to prevent unnecessary ICE startups in winter and rain

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Oct 22, 2012.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    With colder weather upon us here in the States, many of us are experiencing ICE startup with turning the cabin heat on or trying to defrost the front windows. The seat heaters go a long way towards not having to turn on the cabin heat and triggering the ICE, but that doesn’t solve the window defrosting issue.

I was thinking today as we got the first of our seasonal rains here around the Sacramento area, and the ICE kicking in while defrosting the windows, it would be nice to have another non-ICE solution for this. I’m not sure if the technology yet exists, but if there was a defrosting system on the front and side windows similar to the defrosting grid of the rear windows, but invisible to the eye, this might do the trick.

Any ideas out there?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A block heater will work but not for long term once unplugged.

3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just saw another post on a separate thread that went up the same time as mine. It noted using the AC to vent to the windshield. I did try this before, but got mixed results - sometimes the ICE was triggered. I wonder if the ICE triggers in this scenario when the cabin temperature is below the set preferred temperature and AC and warming therefore have to come on thus having the warming demand triggering the ICE. I suppose the cabin temperature preference could be set very low, but this would make for a pretty chilly cabin.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The ICE will start if you turn on the cabin fan with the climate control temperature set higher than the outside temperature. You have to turn the temp way down to keep the gas engine off.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if the 100w 12v heater placed on thedash facing the windshield would do anything?

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think running the electric AC to put dry air onto the windshield is the path to follow for removing fog and condensation. Just make sure that the thermostat is set low enough to not call for heat.

Using the electric seats seems to be effective as well for passenger comfort.

An add on12v electric space heater for the cabin is somewhat limited.

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Yes, expend valuable electric power hence shorter EV range............

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think these are only strategies aimed at trips that are shorter than the EV range. If you are travelling a longer distance than the EV range, firing up the ICE is probably the most effective option.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but if you can still manage the whole trip in ev, no harm no foul.(y)

10. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    anyone know how "expensive" in EV miles the seat heaters typically run? can live without them in cali but i'd imagine pretty useful back east.

11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I found an article about transparent coated glass with heating elements that could be applied to windows. Would be nice if Toyota incorporated something like this in the next gen PIP:

Coated Glass for Transparent Heating Elements :: NASA Tech Briefs

(full article isn't much longer, but available with free registration)

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the method I described in the other thread, of using the AC, rear defrost and seat heaters, is about as good as it gets. It will do the job in moderate weather. But if your car is kept outdoors and it's really cold, in the 30's, you really have no choice but to let the engine warm up. I don't deal with snow, but in the coldest part of winter here, we get a thick layer of frost.

Time will tell if I can use the windshield fluid to melt it and the AC to keep the frost off. I'd rather sell my house and get one with a garage :)

From this morning's experience, though, using the AC/rear defrost/seat heater works, and it works faster than waiting for the engine to warm up. You just have to be sure that you set the cabin temperature to LOW, (the lowest temperature), or else the engine will start.

13. This morning was a little cooler in Sacto with our first rain. My windows stayed clear, didn't bother with heater. I ended up with 30 one min. Bars of 100mpg, coming back I must have goosed the go-pedal a bit and got a few short bars, but still took the long term mpg from 82 mpg to 88 mpg. Our winters are relatively warm, so we do not need gloves to drive. I would be interested, but not envious of any Prii commuters that must travel 30 min + in 10 to 20 degrees F .

14. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will wear a heavy winter coat. :D

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    50mpg doesn't do you much good if you can't see. Running the defrosters in the wet & chilly AM is unavoidable.

The heated seat does not cause the ICE to spin up so it and a coat is a "better" choice than running the heater.

16. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plus, I got a sponge like thingy on a long rod like device to wipe any condensation off the windshield.:D

17. A squeegee also works, sponge like thingys on long rods cannot always be guaranteed.

18. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, not a sponge, but a little "towel" wrapped around a plastic rectangular plate with a handle on it. Squeegee works too:D

19. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrbigh likes this.
  20. TY Kitty, that looks like a good idea.