1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Idemitsu ZEPRO w/Advanced Molybdenum for 2011 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Apr 2, 2019.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am considering the Idemitsu ZEPRO w/Advanced Moly 0W-20 for my 2011 Prius. My cost on this oil is the same as Mobil 1 EP so the price is competitive with major brands. My daily commute is 3 miles each way and on the evenings I usually make one 34 mi round-trip in city traffic. The car does also get used for longer trips during weekends. For me, the main appeal of this oil is the unusually high Molybdenum content and the low KV@40C (36.3 cSt); together I am hoping that these two characteristics will maximize the vehicle’s fuel economy.

The only concern I have is the high Viscosity Index (VI). According to this post by an individual who is an oil formulator, the high VI is due to heavy usage of a PMA-based Viscosity Index Improver (VII). Between the PMA-based VII and the high NOACK (14%), this can cause elevated piston ring deposits which may increase the likelihood of developing oil consumption. Luckily, my Prius one of the few 1.8L 2ZR-FXER engines that does not consume any oil between 5K oil changes and I want it to remain this way if possible.

Realistically, it is unlikely that I will keep this car beyond the 300K mark. I do not have a true need for HM oil at this time because I just performed a head gasket job where every seal, o-ring and gasket (including the valve stem seals) was replaced with the exception of the rear main seal. Prior to the head gasket repair I was mainly using Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 at 5K intervals; the car is currently on its 2nd fill of SuperTech 0W-20 to “rinse” out any contaminants that may have been leftover from the engine being opened up.

Thoughts?

Link to the oil: ZEPRO 0W-20 Molybdenum | Premium Engine Oil | Idemitsu Lubricants