1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

identify this part 2013 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bennyjett, Apr 11, 2024.

1. bennyjett

bennyjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can anyone identify this part that hangs down? It is my mother's 2013 Pruis II. She does not recall running over something, but obviously, she did. I hope to figure out what the part is so I can estimate for her the cost to repair it. There are no warning lights displayed on the dashboard. The car rides fine, except when it goes over a speed bump and it drags.

Thank you all for any assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes that's an exhaust hanger rubber and rod and expanded round The expanded round pushes through the rubber and then the rubber hangs on a slot sticking out from the chassis It's all exhaust related so that the exhaust doesn't rattle when the car is running turning and driving That's not necessarily going to hurt anything but when you're around a Midas or an exhaust shop just pull in and let them lift the car up that'll take 5 seconds for the guy to bend and put the rubber back on he'll actually feel bad about possibly charging you for it but anytime he has to do anything you have to pay something this is a quick fix with a large pair of channel locks to grab and bend and possibly a few strikes with a small hammer without breaking or tearing up anything this is generally a pretty easy repair If the rubber piece is damaged they'll have new ones at the exhaust shop they're about six bucks a piece You kind of want to get the exhaust suspended on the rubbers again It keeps everything nice looks like she may have caught something in the parking lot or possibly on not so well paved road or what have you The Prius is pretty low to the ground this is a good time also for the exhaust shop to generally look at the exhaust and see if there's a few spots that normally need it to be jacked up on the exhaust usually the pipe going from the cat back to the muffler is a hanger as in it hangs down too low I make my exhaust guy pick up that piece with his stand and bend it so it stays up so when I look under the car I don't see that piece It's hugged up under the car in the tunnel most Prius when I ride behind them this piece is hanging down ready to hit a rock or a parking curb if you're inclined to drive over those so we don't have that and if you take a picture leaning down from behind my car You won't see the exhaust pipe on every other Prius I see in the country I can see it when I'm driving behind it It's like a Z bend like a CIBE Z beam pattern looking shape

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's to hold the exhaust up. You'll have to bent it back up so the top of the
    rubber part aligns with metal part on the right side of the photo.
    The metal part on the left that has the rubber hanger on it will be below the part on the right
    but they will be parallel.

4. bennyjett

bennyjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. I was able to set up an appointment with an exhaust place. Other places though they may need to weld the hanger so they passed and told me to go specifically to an exhaust place. It is not going to be an expensive repair either.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ??? What welding??? Just raise that side of the car, then take a large cresent
    wrench and bend it back up.
    Or a hammer and bang it back up....
    That's pretty sad of those people.... can't fix a simple thing lik that???

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you get there they'll probably bend that piece up Make sure that it's strong enough to stay up If not they'll tack it or something and then hang that piece of rubber back over that round ball of an end on the piece that's bent and then look at it bend it until it looks reasonably straight and then you're off and running try to be more careful of what might be getting caught under the car maybe you live on the dirt road or a rock driveway or something A stick sitting sideways with a limb sticking out of it a little bit that looks like you could clear could do this.

7. bennyjett

bennyjett New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The welding comment came from the Toyota Technician. I went to two other shops and they all made the comment that it might need a weld and suggested I go to an exhaust place. The guy at the exhaust place said he can do it for $25 as long as its not too bad off. My Tacoma is high enough off the ground I can do anything, but that pruis I would need to buy a jack which isn't worth the cost, and not to be a bad son, but its not my car, its her's. I am just trying to get it fixed up and if $25 does it, then I'm good with the pro.

But again, thank you all. It gave me enough information to prevent me from being bluffed into thinking it was part of the battery system or some mess like that. No one did that but knowledge is power.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the exhaust hanger bar to get that bent there might be other damage; any responsible shop doing the exhaust repair should check on that as well. One scenario would be an object on the road kicked up, levered the hanger bar. But yeah have it all looked over.