1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

idling question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by HSVPRIUS, May 28, 2008.

1. HSVPRIUS

HSVPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am taking a trip which take about 12 hours. I am taking my dog and always before I would leave my dog, locked in the car with it running with the air on. I would do this when I stopped for lunch which took anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

Can I do this with the Prius or will the battery run down?:help:

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the battery will run down and it is not recommended to leave a dog in a car unattended.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you leave the car in "Ready" the battery will not run down. The engine will run from time to time to keep it charged up. You will have to manually lock the drivers door when you get out, but that's about it. If you have SKS take the FOB with you.

If you're leaving the dog in the car, you may want to put a sign in a window so some well meaning panic stricken person doesn't call the police and have a window broken to "save" the dog. A sign that says "This is a hybrid car, the air conditioning is on, even though the engine may not be running."

4. HSVPRIUS

HSVPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I rarely leave my dog, but when I do I can always see the car and keep an eye on it. What is "ready"? When I pull in the parking place do I just press "park"?

Oh, maybe you are right. I really love my dog and wouldn't want anything to happen to her. I guess I better eat outside where I can have her with me. Thanks for the info.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This will work fine. "Ready" mode is the normal operating mode when the Prius is powered up and ready to drive - it's the same as leaving a normal car running. To do this when you pull into a parking lot, just press Park, not the power button. To be safe you might want to set the parking brake. Set the air conditioning as desired. You will need to manually lock the car, as the Prius is smart enough to know that it is still running, so it will beep and complain.

As another poster suggested, you may want to leave a sign in the window telling well-meaning busybodies that your dog is fine and that they don't need to break your windows to save the dog from the stifling heat inside of the car.

Tom

6. HSVPRIUS

HSVPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the information. It is good to know that this can be done and I would not have thought about the sign but is probabaly a necessary precaution.

7. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that's a better idea:D