1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IE and today's Windows Update

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm... for those using IE, did anyone experience any problems with IE after updating?

When I enter a web address in the address bar, pressing Enter or clicking "Go" doesn't make the web browser connect to the website.

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always hate it when people answer a question with a non-sequitar. As if Firefox isn't without its problems.

I don't use the "GO" button, but I have noticed that my favorite trick of putting in just the name of the site, without the "www." and the ".com", and pressing CTRL-ENTER no longer works. It used to insert the "www." and the ".com" and then take you to the site. I assume its related to an update (I'm set on "automatic updates" now).

I did find out from theeldergeek.com's site that MicroSoft's Windows Defender beta is pretty good, so I downloaded it and installed it. It replaces MS Antispyware with a more complete suite of tools, and it is working well. That was before I noticed the CTRL-ENTER issue; have you also installed Windows Defender? I'm wondering if there's some functionality it is blocking.

Oh, and make sure you update your Firefox too. There's a list of bugs Here that is pretty long. In fact, the list is so long it "broke" Bugzilla's listing ability.

4. jchu

jchu New Member

Both Firefox and IE resident on my machine and both upgrades done. Can't say I have had problems with IE since the upgrade but then again I haven't been on the internet with it since the upgrade either. IE remains on my machine only because a I can't get a few programs (like TurboTax) to run with Firefox

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a knowledge base article that might help:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

The problem they address in that article stems from some HP's "Share to Web" software that is include with many scanners, cameras, etc. that they produce. Also, the Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall will interfere after the update.

They give instructions on how to edit the registry to restore operation.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    fshagan, I think you've solved my problem! Thanks!

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 16 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]240492[/snapback]</div>
    And I hate it when people overstate a problem. :rolleyes:
    None of the bugs on that list are security vulnerabilities.
    What you have there is a working list of known bugs, unconfirmed reports, normal/minor/trivial occurrences, and future enhancement wish list items. Not only that, you are looking at versions of Firefox which cover Windows, Linux, Mac, and Sun Solaris operating systems – and spans from from early milestone releases (Pre version 1.0) in 2002 through today.

Security bug reports can be treated as special and handled differently than "normal" bugs. In particular, the mozilla.org Bugzilla system will allow bug reports related to security vulnerabilities to be marked as "Security-Sensitive," and will have special access control features specifically for use with such bug reports.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/s...ugs-policy.html

If you wish to talk security vulnerabilities, IE is as legendary as Swiss Cheese for holes. After all, M$$$ made it part of the freakin' operating system!

I agree, update Firefox, and any other program as soon as an update is released. There was a new Firefox update (1.5.0.2) just this past week . . . It's easy, just click on HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATES.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm always astounded how so many people insist on running their
    browsers, any browsers, with all the dangerous bells and whistles
    turned on, and then whine when there's a security problem. Seems
    like the staunch IE users are the most defensive with fewest facts,
    and the Firefox/mozilla crowd has its own brand of smug, but
    nobody's seeing the real fix: TURN OFF THE STUPID SCRIPTING, and
    avoid websites whose misguided implementors assume that everyone
    has the stuff turned on all the time. Or ask them to construct
    their pages in a truly browser-independent fashion, which any web
    designer worth its salt should know how to do.
    _H*

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Apr 16 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]240512[/snapback]</div>
    Gawd, I hate it when the "fix" to a problem requires you to edit the registry!!! Can there be anything stupider than the registry? They're always telling you to edit it, but if you make one little mistake you can render your computer inoperable.

If Vista keeps the registry, maybe I'll finally switch to Linux.

Back on topic, I've had no problem with IE since the latest update. But I now use IE only on sites I trust, and for general browsing I use Firefox.

10. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 15 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]240395[/snapback]</div>
    Yes! Ever since I did the obligatory "updates" last week, my home computer is doing that. If I enter a URL, it just ignores it. However, I found that if I spelled out "http://www.XXXXX.com", it worked!
    Let me know what you figure out, please! :blink:

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I use Firefox myself, but what I found odd was that Windows Explorer developed a problem. I can open up a drive, do what I want to do, but when I close, the page minimizes and then I get a "not responding" error. I had created a link some time ago, so maybe the link is now bad (that's a stretch, I admit).

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    okokok guys.. jeez. I didn't mean to start an IE vs Firefox war! That link helped me fix it. It's because I had an HP photosmart printer that caused the problem.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 17 2006, 04:38 AM) [snapback]240816[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed!
    However, not all scripts are bad . . . so don't throw out the baby with the bathwater . . . with Mozilla or Firefox, install the NoScript extension and choose which sites, or which scripts within a site you wish to allow to run. . . or temporarily allow to run. It is very easy to use. :D

Extra protection for your Firefox: NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other plugins) only for trusted domains of your choice (e.g. your home-banking web site). This whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality... Experts will agree: Firefox is really safer with NoScript ;-)
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/previews/

If you already use NoScript, check for an update – I found one while writing this reply.
    TOOLS > EXTENSIONS > FIND UPDATES. With Firefox 1.5+, updates have become stupidly simple . . . just restart Firefox after loading update.

Now if only web site designers would realize what a hole Active-X is.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The problem with turning off scripting is that so many sites use scripts to deliver content. The only way to be really safe seems to be to shut off the computer and go back to doing research at the library and mailing letters to friends via the USPS.

The real problem is that Windows allows access to system-level functions, especially allowing programs to be installed, without specific user permission.

As soon as I get my laptop back (the DVD died after I packed it in my checked luggage on a trip last fall) I'm going to install Linux on it and see how well it works and whether it can really do everything I need a computer to do (stuff like eFax and iTunes and correctly display banking sites that aleways say "Best viewed with IE.") It would be nice to toss Windows into the garbage, where it belongs.

15. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 17 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]241131[/snapback]</div>
    I'll have to check out the link then. I do have an HP printer and scanner, so it may be related.
    Thanks!

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "... so many sites use scripting to deliver content." ...
    But that problem *came about* over time, because people were being
    stupid and ALLOWING it to happen in the face of many well-publicized
    security problems. My original argument, that nobody had the guts
    and vision to intervene, still holds. However, you'll note that
    scripting [as far as I know] is still not a W3C *standard*, it's all
    in the class of "optional extension". Therefore, sites depending
    wholly upon client scripting features [such as, for example, Toyota's
    techinfo site, heh] are not standards-compliant, period.
    _H*

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 18 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]241720[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you. But that still leaves the individual user with the dilemma: leave our computer open to security issues, or make do without much of the content the web has to offer.

18. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the fix for the "CTRL-ENTER" functionality ... in IE, look under "TOOLS" * "INTERNET OPTIONS" and "ADVANCED", and look under the "Browsing" for the "Inline AutoComplete" box. The update evidently toggles that off, and the new default is "off". Clicking that box restored operation (without a registry hack, for once!)