1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If and when stem cell research does ever come up with cures...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Nov 16, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    to say alzheimer's or parkinson's or other devastating diseases that modern science can not cure or alleviate today, will it be hypocritical for the religious right who opposed this research to use, benefit, or profit from it?

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 16 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]350251[/snapback]</div>
    I would say they are already hypocritical. You remember when Bush signed the stem cell veto? He surrounded himself with families with children that had been produced from frozen embryos. What Bush did not mention was that for each of those kids many fertilized embryos likely had to be discarded. That is hypocrisy if not outright lying.

But it is not unusual for people with false and unrealistic "moral" standards to be hypocrites in the face of reality. For example the vice-president of PETA takes insulin for diabetes. Insulin used to be harvested from pigs and its recombinant form had to be proven safe using research animals.

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 16 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]350251[/snapback]</div>
    The religious right is directly responsible for screwing the poor and the killing in Iraq.I think that they are accustomed to being hypocritical.
    I saw an interesting story today describing major stem cell research in Iran.Muslims believe that life begins 3 months after conception,so there is no religious interference .
    I wonder if God spoke to Bush and asked him to bomb the stem cell labs when he takes out the nukes.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lets say a treatment for Alzheimer's is developed... isn't it possible that someone would accept the treatment, having forgotten they were opposed to the way it was developed :lol:

Anyways, on a serious note:
    The issue isn't so much stem cells - adult stem cells are, for the most part, fine... it's embryonic stem cells that people have a problem with. So if a researcher develops a cure for Alzheimer's using adult stem cells, i don't think anyone would really be screaming about it and it would be a non-issue. Now, what if, during the research, that same researcher destroyed several embryonic stem cells? Is it suddenly hypocritical for you to use that same adult stem cell solution for your cure? I don't have an answer to that question.

I think it would definitely be hypocritical if the cure involved using an embryonic stem cell as part of the cure - it's hypocritical to denounce embryonic research and then turn around and use those embryos for your own personal gain. but simply because scientists are learning stuff from embryonic stem cells doesn't necessarily mean that they would have to use them in the cure.

I think the question needs to be formed a little better to include the possible situations. for example, it's considered by many to be a sin to "covet thy neighbors wife"... so would it be hypocritical to receive medical treatment from a doctor who's having an affair with a married woman?

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 16 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]350291[/snapback]</div>
    Or perhaps even from a gay doctor? The zealotry that the right fights against embryonic stem cell research is much more vigorous than its pursuit to outlaw infidelity. So I don't think their disapproval is on the same scale, but I have absolutely no problem if religious people don't want to see physicians who believe in evolution, are gay, are pro choice, are advocates of embryonic stem cell research, are atheists, etc... Hell, I urge them to interview potential doctors on these issues so they won't be treated by doctors tainted with sin or sinful stances. To not do so actually makes them hypocrites.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [attachmentid=5685]

[attachmentid=5684]

[attachmentid=5686]

Attached Files:

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    and what about anything arising from basic science research on esc's? anything that cites a paper that includes knowledge derived from esc research?

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We're all hypocritical. If you can't see your own hypocrisy you're blind. Remember Jesus taking about the speck in your neighbor's eye and the log in your own?

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is this just another diatribe against a different POV or do you really care?

If you do please join the priuschat or priusonline Folding@Home team and put your CPU cycles where your mouth is.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=25462&hl=

Wildkow

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Nov 18 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]351345[/snapback]</div>
    * Bump *