1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If and when the battery dies, wouldn't that...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Apr 24, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    be the opportune time to convert it to a plug in?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If its out of warranty, sure. That may be a really long time to wait.

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Apr 24 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]429190[/snapback]</div>
    At least 8 years or 100,000 miles. Better spend your time thinking about something else. :D

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: The Prius is so completely engineered that 'conversion to a plug-in' would likely NOT be cost effective or practical. If you are even a "thrice average" driver from the standpoint of miles driven, by the time your Prius 'wears out' technology for plug-ins will have advanced to another dimension.

For now... enjoy your Prius.

5. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aren't plug-in conversions almost as expensive as the car itself? The battery is only $3000, and by the time your warranty is up, or when you need it, the cost will go down significantly.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you've got the cash, it's a good catalyst anyway, right? :p

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.edrivesystems.com/faq.html

12 grand today. Maybe cheaper in the future.

"26. How much will the EDrive conversion cost?
    Our goal is to offer the conversion to consumers at under $12,000. Final pricing cannot be determined until the commercialized version has been developed."

"7: Can I really get over 200mpg with EDrive on my Prius?
    Yes, but it requires low speeds (55mph freeway) and mild acceleration in city driving. Most Prius EDrive users will likely get closer to 100mpg."

Droooool.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    By the time the battery dies in your Prius, the car will have 350,000 miles on it and be falling apart. Very bad time to invest 12 grand to convert it into anything. Maybe take the tires off and convert it into a doghouse.

Note that EDrive Systems web site promises nation-wide installers in 2006. Hello!!!??? They have not even updated their web site in over a year! The conversion can be done, but I'm not expecting EDrive to do it.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 24 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]429555[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure it won't be $12k after 350,000 miles on a Prius. Unless you do 350,000 miles by next year.

10. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Actually since Toyota is switching to Li-Ion batteries I doubt the Ni-MHi batteries will get cheaper.

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 25 2007, 03:51 AM) [snapback]429160[/snapback]</div>
    When your 2006 Prius battery warranty expired in 2016, you'll have opportunity to buy Toyota official plug-in vehicle.

Ken@Japan

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Apr 24 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]429221[/snapback]</div>
    In CA and many other states, you're talking at least 150K miles ! ! Hey! Now.

13. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

No.

I recommend you don't convert to a plug-in at that time. (This coming from someone in the middle of a Prius+ conversion.) The way a plug in works is that a second battery pack gets used up and then the regular one takes over again. Let’s say you go to work and on the way home you get a call and find out you have to pick up a family member 200 miles away. You need a good main battery to do that.

That being said, the best time to do a plug-in conversion is when you realize that it is not about pay back, you will never see pay back for that leather steering wheel cover or for chroming out your engine compartment hoses, or for getting bigger rims.

The best time to do a plug-in is when you realize you can reduce the amount of foreign oil you use, and realize that you can put solar panels or a wind turbine up to charge your car with clean energy that won’t go up in price.

The best time to do a plug-in conversion is when you realize that as soon as the Auto industry figures out that there is no stopping this "I want cleaner and cheaper fuel" mentality we all seem to have, the sooner competition will develop better, cheaper hybrids, and batteries.

The best time to do a plug-in conversion is now!

14. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 24 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]429269[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe for you, but this was the first car I've ever purchased new. I was hoping it would be the last.

Besides, it's the principle of the thing. I've got 46k+ miles on her now and will reach 150k long before 8 years is up.

Dave M.

15. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When the car is ten years old with 150K miles, its book value will likely be about as low as the cost of a new traction battery.

As a result, it would be foolhardy to invest, say, $12k in a conversion. One accident and you'll lose virtually all of that, because the insurance company will simply pay book value.

There's no reasonable way to convince an insurance company of increased value for your converted car. The only alternative is stated-value insurance like people have for boats and aircraft. You tell them what your vehicle is worth, and you pay accordingly. Even then, I'd be concerned that you wouldn't get a "normal" policy, and it would have lots of gaps in coverage.