1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If Harleys were hybrids...

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by hobbit, Jun 22, 2006.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can dream of a day when there are enough hybrid enthusiasts that
    they would hold huge week-long regional gatherings. As I walked down
    the main drag at Weirs Beach last weekend, part of Laconia Bike Week,
    and shot http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/pix/lac06/shore1.jpg
    I kept thinking how great it would be if *that* many people converged
    on an area because they love hybrid cars, fuel efficiency, and
    soaking in dense clouds of smug. Think of that many Priii lined up..
    But there are still a heck of a lot more Harleys than hybrids on
    the roads. And the bikers' enthusiasm appears to be completely
    undamped by fuel prices.
    _H*

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Typical Harley is 45 mpg, right?

I encountered many scooters crossing the Sierra Nevadas last weekend. Have to say that their fleet was accompanied by a cloud of unburned hydrocarbons.

I was unable to find a good number for Harleys in the US, but if it's 1 million, hybrids ought to outnumber them in about 3 years.

3. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 22 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]275633[/snapback]</div>
    I have a harley--45mpg is about right at 70mph; 55 at 55mph. H-D is selling over 300K bikes per year (70% in U.S.) I say At least 5 million bikes in U.S. maybe 10 million when including "the others". 300-400,000 show up at Sturgis S.D. every year.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 22 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]275628[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah... Been there a few times on my bike... Lots of REAL hooligans hang out there too, if you ever want to know how exactly it is 16-18 year olds with no jobs can afford $12,000+ sportbikes, hang out within their circles... When they get the sense you're not a cop (typically, the way it's done is when one of *their* friends introduces you), they'll be more than happy to brag about how they did it.... :ph34r:

On another note, I think the enthusiasm remains undamped simply because it doesn't appear to cost that much more when you fill up your bike. Most bikes fill up with only 3-4 gallons, so it's about $10-12, going from something like $6-8 to 10-12 doesn't have as much psychological impact as going from 30-60 (proportions amongst those lines...).

5. AzizaVFR

AzizaVFR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No matter how you try to rationalize it, $3/gal+ is still the same expense be it filling up the Prius or my two motorcycles. I have about the same fuel usage costs as the Prius with the Honda VFR800 (46mpg @ 75mph) while the Ninja 250 has greater results (54mpg @ 75mph). My normal commute is 629 miles / week.

The other areas where the car has the very distinct advantage is in the other consumables, like tires, brakes, and drive chains. I average about five sets of tires a year for the bikes, not including the sacrificial ones used for track days. So far, I have put 24,000 miles on the Prius since December, and the only thing I have really had to spend money on for the Prius was gas, oil, and Zaino.