1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If I Replace the Driver Seat… Question.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimeFor, Feb 20, 2005.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

My thinking is, a $30,000 car should have power seats, leather, and lumbar. But it’s more than just that. I think the whole design of the seat is bad. I have a hard time sitting in it for 20 mins let alone my 2-hour commute.

The Prius driver seat is hurting my lower back. I have no lumbar support and it won’t go back far enough to have my legs stretched out. I’m considering buy a used 5 series BMW seat and replacing the Prius one. I’m not worried about mounting or any of that. I’m sure I can rig something up for it. But… The prius seat has Air bags in it. I don’t care about losing the driver side impact air bag but what will happen when I unplug it. Will some warning light go off telling me I don’t have air bags… exts.?? Is Toyota going to care? I mean, I’ll probably get some looks when I go in for an oil change and they find a BMW seat in.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: If I Replace the Driver Set… Question.

In the end no one will care except you if you get a side impact. If you don't you are cool. BTW I agree the main thing Toyota needs to do to make this car great is improve the seat. The present seat is OK but I want more than OK. I use a lumbar support I got at our "Take Care Store" it is gray and fits in but I could do better.

3. alcor

alcor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: If I Replace the Driver Set… Question.

I could not agree with you more. Although I find the seats reasonably comfortable, my wife as passenger absolutely hates them. We sold a 2001 Volvo Cross Country that had both driver and passenger power seats that were infinitely adjustable, including height. They were very comfortable. "Time For" is also absolutely correct when he states that the seats do not go back far enough. There is more than enough room to add an extra 2 or 3 inches. If the concern is lack of leg room for back seat passengers, then move the seat forward if you have them. My wife also had to get a separate lumbar support and have an expensive custom made cushion that adjusted the angle of the seat.

I really love my Prius and have been very happy with it, but it truly needs better seats.

Alan

4. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Couldn't you go to a body shop and have the track that the seat rides on moved back a few inches? It'd cut your rear seat legroom, but you'd then get the room you seek in the front.

I know things like that are done for NBA players all the time.

Ken

5. alcor

alcor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ken:

I will check out the body shop suggestion, but I was told by the dealer and one after market seat and accessory installer that it is illegal for them to modify the seat mounting system. Is this actually true? I don't know but I'll find out.

Alan

6. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had never heard of it being illegal. I'm sure there are some liability issues for the dealer...but a body shop just may not care.

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you decide to do the job yourself(and for anybody thinking of removing your airbag equiped seat) be sure to disconnect the 12 volt battery and wait about 5 minutes before starting any work. You need to let the capacitors discharge in the SRS(Suplemental Restraint System,name for airbag system) before doing any work or disconnections to the system. Wouldn't want to be suprised by the bag going off :wink:

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

One problem with relocating or replacing the seat: the seat position sensor for the airbag.
    There is a sensor to tell how far forward the seat is, so it can adjust airbag deployment accordingly.

That might be one of the reasons for not having telescoping steering.

9. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

I have given this some considerable thought. Karl Malone wanted a Tacoma when the 4 door came out. They had tracks made that move the seat back,
    I don't know who did it. I know the cost was outrageous. Then when it was delivered to him he didn't like it. Karl said "It's to small"(we tried to tell him).

It can be done. The airbags are the problem. If you could do the crash testing then you could get it perfect. I think your going to have to disable the
    SRS. We won't know how costly this will be till it's to late. Wife, kids, or just
    the driver. It is not going to be something that you can easily turn on&off. If you leave the airbag unplugged than you will turn on the light and the SRS is disabled. So when you crash you will have an untested SRS system that is untested & or no air bags for anyone.

The Insurance Company of the person that is liable for the injurys in your vehicle that you disabled, will pay the claim & send it straight to the legale dept. Hope you and or your family has a good lawyer and or no assets.