1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If I use Hold A/C and it be used to cool the traction battery

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marco Morel, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Marco Morel

Marco Morel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was wondering if I used Hold A/C does it cool the traction battery as well or just the cabin? Also is Hold A/C supposed to pulse on and off and on again or is something wrong with mine?

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have not been able to get the 'HOLD A/C' button to do anything.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  4. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Nobody appreciates your smart remarks

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a scangauge that I used to monitor battery temps on my Energi (pretty much the same size battery) and, yes, running the a/c cools the cabin down WAY more than the battery (if at all) on my car. The a/c needs to run a long time to bring the battery temps down because it's such a large heatsink.

Heat wise, the best thing you can do to keep battery temps in check is to not charge (especially outside at level 2 rates) during the heat of the day.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that in regard to the prime 'hold a/c' feature?

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And you think you speak for everybody in the world ???

It was, and is, a serious suggestion.

And it doesn't seem to be drowned out by the hundreds of other useful comments.

Take a hike.

#7 sam spade 2, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is this what we're talking about, commencing on page 509 of 2017 Prime Owner's Manual:

upload_2018-8-21_9-32-50.png

bisco likes this.
  9. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I stand corrected. EVERYONE appreciates your smart remarks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, then 'hold a/c' is a misnomer. it is just remote a/c and cools the cabin.

jb in NE likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hold A/C in OP must be about the Remote Air Conditioning System. It uses electrical energy stored in the hybrid battery (traction battery) and allows the air conditioning to be operated by remote control. It is for preconditioning cabin with climate control system. I guess, ambient temperature drops, so it will cool the battery as well. I think OP is confusing this functionality and another function “Traction Battery Cooler” When the hybrid battery (traction battery) is hot, this function protects it by using the vehicle air conditioning to cool it before charging is carried out. When the hybrid battery (traction battery) is above a certain temperature and the power switch is turned off, a check screen is displayed on the multi-information display that indicates whether “Traction Battery Cooler” is implemented. When “No” is selected, the hybrid battery (traction battery) cooling system does not operate.

Jeff Cohen likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how does the faction battery cooler work?

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never seen “Traction Battery Cooler function" selection screen displayed on the multi-information display that indicates whether “Traction Battery Cooler” is implemented. It never gets that hot where I live. The manual says it uses the vehicle air conditioning to cool it before charging is carried out, but how it works is not explained.

#13 Salamander_King, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if it puts the cooling fan on high.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the manual “Traction Battery Cooler” is implemented only if battery is above certain temp at the time when car is turned off to allow battery to cool before charging can take place. I wonder what happens if the car is parked and charge completed, but the temp of battery gets above the set temp. Would it turn on AC by itself, if "Traction Battery Cooler" function was enabled?

16. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All I know is that almost every time I turn my Prime Advanced off, I get the screen asking to operate the Traction Battery Cooler (or something like that). I always choose 'yes' and press the button, but I don't know if that does anything, because the next time I turn the car off, I get the same question, I choose "yes", and go thru the same steps over and over and over again.......

In regards to the remote AC button - I began using this earlier this summer. I turn it on via the key fob 10 minutes before getting into the car in the morning, and when all dressed up for work it's very cool inside the cabin (my car is garaged, but it still gets very hot in there with the crazy humidity we can have here in Chicago).

17. Yankee3

Yankee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I too get this message on a regular basis when I turn the car off in Memphis, but what I always wonder about is whether I should select yes or just move the curser to yes as I do with the "charge now" function. Is it confusing or is this just me? So far I have not observed the air conditioner coming on prior to charging. It has been regularly 90 degrees in my garage at night.

18. Jeff Cohen

Jeff Cohen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Move the cursor to "Yes" then press the center button using the button cluster on the right of the steering wheel. I see it in the heat of summer often, and use it. It makes a racket in the garage. I believe it only functions when the car is plugged in. Not sure if it runs the ac after charging if the battery is still hot.

19. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Anything that cools the cabin also indirectly cools the traction battery, since the traction battery pulls its cooling air from the cabin. If the battery gets hot, the car will start the A/C automatically to cool the cabin and the battery.

The Hold A/C is just the remote control from the A/C. It will run up to 10 minutes or until you open the door.