1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If my posts are a little incoherent...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Apr 12, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't make excuses for my incoherent posts over the past 4 years, but for today I'm blaming drugs.
    I had a inguinal hernia repair this morning and have been surfing from my bed since it hurts like hell to stand or sit. The Percocet doesn't seem to help a lot when I'm moving around but keeps me comfortable when supine.

Unfortunately it seems to have somewhat adverse consequences on my typing and concentration. So please forgive any weirdness in my posts for today and probably the next day or two.

Another random though on the sugery itself....
    When I was training laproscopic surgery was in it's infancy. Over the years it's come into routine use for all sorts of surgeries including hernia repair. But, interestingly, over the past couple of years it seems that the tide is, yet again, turning toward open procedures for hernia repair due to more complications with the laproscopic procedure.

Also, I'd seen hernias done under general anesthesia and even with spinal/epidural anesthesia in the past. Just learned this morning that they can do them under MAC (monitored anesthetic care)...basicly deep sedation and local anesthetic. And that's what I had today to my personal suprise.

The procedure went well, I remember nothing after being moved to the operating table until I woke up in my own personal recovery room at the surgery center. I checked in at the surgery center at 6:30am and was in my car on the way home by 9:30am today...pretty amazing I think. My dad had a hernia repair at the VA a couple years ago and had a 2 night admission after his.

Anyway, thanks for listening....I'm contemplating an experiment with single malt scotch and the improve efects of oxycodone with concurrent use....think there's a Journal article in that??

2. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 12 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]422320[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, hope you're feeling better soon. I never thought Percocet or Tylenol w/codeine did much after surgeries (I've had ~14, so I know what works and doesn't for me). I would sometimes take the Perc or T/C with vodka (only at night to try to get 4-5 hours uninterrupted sleep), that seemed to do the trick for the more major surgeries. My surgeon raised an eyebrow when I responded with this info as to how the pain medication was working, but said,"Well, if it's working for you..."
    Feel better.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 12 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]422320[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhhhhhh, It sounds like they administered Versed, my favorite medically approved and applied drug. When I had my Kid/Pan transplant the anesthesiologist, a pretty blond gal late 30’s to early 40’s, asked me if I was nervous. I replied that I wasn’t nervous about the transplant procedure but more about all the tubes they were going to shove into my orifices and the eppie for pain that they were going to stick in my spine. They wanted me to remain conscious while they inserted everything to make sure they got them in correctly. She smiled at me and stuck a needle into my IV line and slowly pushed the plunger in while saying “I have something here that will help . . .â€, from the end of the word “help†until I woke up I don’t remember a thing although they all insisted that I was conscious and quite helpful until I, not wanting them to lift me, got onto the surgery table under my own power.

I hope that all the loose parts were replaced and that none extra were added as well as a swift recovery.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Apr 12 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]422332[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I usually chased my Perc's and Vicodin's with a beer but whats funny is that I remember getting a second brew but always woke up from my nappy with a warm 3/4 full brew next to me. :p

Wildkow

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 12 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]422335[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed they started the Versed just before I left my room for the OR. It is good stuff...I use it not infrequently with my ER patients.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, some of your previous posts seem incoherent because I usually follow behind you and remove every seventh letter.

It's nice to know that today I can take a break.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 12 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]422352[/snapback]</div>
    I hadn't realized you'd learned to count past 5...congratulations are in order!

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 12 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]422354[/snapback]</div>
    Ha ha. Joke's on you. No it's not. Right? :huh:

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sorry to hear about your hernia. my stepdad had surgery for one in january, i think he was out of there in 4 hours. being that he's in my top 5 most hated people list, he doesn't usually get a ton of sympathy from me but i did feel bad for him after that.

get well soon! we'll pretend for your benefit that we notice a difference in your posts ;)

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take it easy and take your meds!

I allowed my mother to scare me out of taking my pain meds after my appendectomy with fears I'd become addicted. So I spent a lot of time in pain.

I also had no clue how long it takes to heal so when my Dr. asked "How long should I excuse you from work for...a week?" I was clueless so I said OK. Big mistake. The only thing that saved me was that I got a week off because of the fires in So. Cal and then I got the shingles. Ended up home for a total of a month, minus two single days I went to work, day before the fires and day before the shingles.

Oh, and when they tell you having laproscopic surgery is less painful? LIARS!. They're all a bunch of big fat liars!

And why didn't anyone tell me to use ice packs on my stomach? Or, as the teacher who told me about icing....use bags of frozen peas.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This morning?! What the hell are you doing here? Go back to bed, you silly boy, and stay there. :) I had the same thing done under general a couple of years ago, and I found the pain easier to deal with than the drugs. Darn. Until I ditched the T3s, I couldn't even sit up without feeling nauseous. Going to the bathroom was interesting...let's just say I was very careful not to mix up the water bottles. :blink: And the 'stitches' were eight inches of metal staples! It was at least two weeks before I could ride a bike. So, you have my sincere sympathies, Evan, and no, I don't want to see the scar. Get well soon. Or, at least back to your former self. :D

Galaxee, you should have visited your poor, suffering stepdad as often as possible and made him bust a gut laughing. :huh:

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Be well, Evan. This will give you a couple of surfing days... :p

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Evan, hope you have a speedy recovery.

13. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hope you feel better soon, Evan!

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 12 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]422390[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks all for your well wishes.
    While I was typing this I was in bed...w/ the laptop.
    I'm a bit better this morning...less ache/soreness and more sharp pain when I move....and I consider that good. I've been up and about so no "bottles" at the bedside...though I'm a little worried about going #2....I'm worried that a)it won't come soon enough and b)that it'll hurt like hell when it does!

I'm also of the "rather deal w/ the pain than the drugs" school. I hate the way narcotics make me feel. I'm going to try to go w/ just ibuprofen today if possible.
    On that note...if a doctor prescribes you Tylenol #3 for pain you need to consider if a)your doctor doesn't like you, b)whether your doctor doesn't believe you're having severe pain, or c)whether your doctor hasn't read a piece of medical literature for 10 years. I only prescribe T3 about once every 6 months to people I feel I must give a narcotic but don't think are really having severe pain. Almost all studies comparing T3 to other meds show it to be markedly inferior to other narcotics and no better if not worse than ibuprofen alone for pain. And to make it worse, the side effects are so much worse than almost all other pain meds that I'd guess that 1/2 the people who have it prescribed stop taking it due to nausea/vomiting and other symptoms.

15. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rest up and get well soon, Evan.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 12 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]422337[/snapback]</div>
    I thought you doctors used it, as well as the masks, to avoid being identified in a lineup. :D

Tom

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Evan, good luck on your recovery. as far as percoset, my SO just had a "C" section and was prescribed percoset with ibuprofen and she says it only takes the edge off. changes it from a pain to a constant dull ache. giving the pill a little boost may just be the ticket

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you start feeling better soon man. :)

19. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get well soon!

For you Versed fans: Amen! It made a vasectomy tolerable, so it's gotta be great for anything else that doesn't require general anesthesia.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Evan: I'm sorry to hear of your hernia. Best of luck on a speedy recovery!

After my first prostate operation, 4 years ago, they gave me Tylenol with codine. Is that T3? As near as I could tell, it did nothing whatsoever. I quit taking it the day after the operation, and the pain did not change.

After my heart operation, there wasn't much pain. (Pulmonary vein ablation. Nothing opened up.)

After my second prostate operation there was agonizing pain when I came out of anesthesia, and they gave me morphine. It was really nice. Once they got enough of it into me (which they did in small stages) I felt no pain, and I felt both physically and emotionally warm. Even though the room was chilly, I felt nice and warm. They sent me home with Percocet, which did very little, if anything, for the pain, but which did help me sleep off and on during the day. If I could have gotten morphine during those first few days I'd have taken it gladly. But I quit taking the Percocet once the catheter was out.

Morphine is nice. I recommend it.

Before the heart surgery they told me I'd have to swallow a tube with an ultrasound transponder. They told me it would be very unpleasant, but I needed to be conscious while swallowing it. However, my last memory was turning onto my side. I have absolutely no memory of swallowing the thing.