1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If my radio has an AM/SAT button, can I install the XM receiver?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ultimate4g63, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Figured I'd put the question right out there in the topic title.

Sorry for the newbish question. My 08 Prius is a Canadian model. Everyone in here is always referring to a US Package that doesn't really correlate up here. My OEM radio has the AM/SAT button. If I push it, I will only get the option for AM so I am guessing my Prius is not "Satellite Ready". Do I only need to purchase the OEM XM receiver kit (and set up an account) in order to obtain satellite radio? Does the fact that I have an AM/SAT button mean that I definitely have the plug in the back for a plug and play OEM install?

Thanks!

2. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi there,
    great question, especially nice answering a fellow Torontonian! At any rate, yes indeed your car is XM capable. You need to buy the XM kit from Toyota, or look for any XM radio kit from Eclipse. Toyota buys audio and navigation equipment from Eclipse (aka Fujitsu Ten!). You are far more likely to get the Eclipse kit for much cheaper than the Toyota kit. Try Futureshop, just tell them you want an XM radio kit for an eclipse radio. The harnesses are believe it or not exactly the same. Its plug and play and your car will recognize it. I have an eclipse GPS antenna in my 2002 Prius and it works great!