1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If or when your Inverter IMP will fail!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 5 Speed, Aug 4, 2017.

1. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since I purchased my 2011 about a year ago with already 120k miles I had no idea how it was driven and was always worried about the IMP failure issues. My prius had already had the IMP TSB software upgrade and I just reached 149500 miles but how close was it to failure before the reprogramming. Well less than a mile from a Toyota dealership the dash lit up and the car went into limp mode. It was after hours so I drove the Prius up to the dealership, put my keys in the night slot and prayed that the code I was seeing on my Scangauge was all that was wrong. P0A94 cannot be reset by the Scangauge and after reading I know it could be other things as well. They called me at 730am letting me know that they were looking at my Prius. Happy story I picked it up at 430 that day and it was all covered and hopefully one less thing that I will need to worry about. My 150k battery warranty expires this week so it better happen now or I hope much later. The moral of the story is be prepared and watch out for the P0A94 code and IMP failure.

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the heads up. And it didn't cost you? That's good. (y)

I wouldn't reset it, even if it was possible. You want them to see all the info; to intervene and dismiss the code would mess them up I think.

3. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since I was at a stoplight and it was slightly up hill I could barely get it to move uphill and pull off the road with my foot to the floor. I didn't realize that the torque and acceleration is pure electric and it just wouldn't move with just the gas engine. One thing nice of having a scan gauge is I had the IMP temperature and it was under 100 so I was pretty sure it wasn't the pump and I could see that only one code was thrown. I had recently changed the IMP fluid and did check with the car on that it was recirculating. Before I spoke with the dealer in the AM I had already called the Toyota 1800# and they verified that I had had the software upgrade on the vehicle and with the code it sounded like the IMP failure and they told me if it was that it would be covered so I pretty well knew what was wrong when I spoke with the service manager even though I was truly scared to death of a costly repair.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meh, I can drop that much at the dentist, it's only money.

CNYhybrid likes this.
  5. sprdav33

sprdav33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They extended the warranty for that part.

Jkan2001 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    15 years no mileage

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in